The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Haunt/Bizarre Interactive Bar (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
aoakden
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of aoakden
I work for a bar that is part of/set in a haunted house. It has a speakeasy, dark, macabre feel to it. With matching themed drinks. There is a small stage where eventually there will be mentalism/bizarre shows, seance type events, etc. But I would like to have something permanent set up.

I’d like to add some bizarre magic into the bar. Something stand alone that people could interact with or somehow participate in. I believe I saw something once of a “Mind Reading Machine” that was self contained but I can’t remember where.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated, even if it is something else that would be a cool addition to the bar.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3912 Posts

Profile of The Curator
A Zoltar or any fortune teller machine
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Yes, on the big scale and if money isn't an issue you can get a fortune teller machine. Spent a good while browsing different Zoltar images when Kadar was being developed.

https://zoltar.org/

On a cheaper level I've had various free go items on my table doing psychic fairs, little things to draw people in, that would work on a bar. Some were suggested to me and I can't remember who to credit, some are my own. I've had decision dice trays. Little dice trays with a list of outcomes. Simple enough for people to do on their own. In the same sort of vein there are the old fashioned fortune telling postcards with a wheel of fortune. A wheel with different statements, give it a spin to see your fate. Pendulum decision makers are pendulums attached to stands with mats underneath with yes, no, maybe on. They set the pendulum going and see what answer it gives. Super low key, a magic 8 ball in a stand. All cheap, but act as introductions to more. If you're working a bar and it's quiet if customers show an interest in one you can then do many things leading on from any of those.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
All good ideas, Joshua. Thank you. And thanks for sharing that Zoltar link. I wish I had an extra $12,000, but I don't think it's in the cards.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
It's a nice site to visit even if I can't afford.

The other idea I'd consider going back to pitch items is to have a sideshow gaff/zibit exhibited. There's a few marketed routines in magic around them. Several Lebanon Magic Circle items would be fine as sideshow gaffs. There was also a book test around cryptids. Makes a talking point for the bar and then can plan routines around them. One of the pubs I drink in has a skull in a glass cabinet. Not a magic pub, but they get included on the ghost tours of the city. That sort of thing interests people.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Higley made excellent zibits https://strangobjects.weebly.com but I seldom see them come up for sale.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
214 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Having performed in a spooky restaurant for too long, a rapping skull or haunted key with a small "Don't Ask..." card can work
aoakden
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Thank you for all of your replies. I would love a Zoltar!
Satire
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Satire
The notion of a sign on something intriguing that reads "Don't Ask" is delightful.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3836 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Just let it take its own path. I've experienced some truly bizarre things in bars in days long ago. lol
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Has the business considered hiring a professional magic consultant who has experience in this area? They may produce better results, or are you just trying to do it yourself? Shouting out on social media type platforms when the business bottom line is at stake imo is ok, but I wouldn’t rely on it. Best of luck the idea is solid.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'm curious what & where this venue is!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
aoakden
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of aoakden
The bar is called The Haunt in Des Moines, IA. It is part of The Slaughterhouse Haunted Attraction and is open on the weekends throughout the year. https://slaughterhousedm.com/haunt

Quote:
On Feb 6, 2024, gaddy wrote:
I'm curious what & where this venue is!
aoakden
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Thank you for your advice. Would you have any suggestions for consultants? I have no idea what cost would be for this type of service.

Definitely not relying on social media, but thought with all the knowledge here some might have some creative ideas I have not thought of. The plan is to have parlor shows with a dark/macabre twist. Various performers including sideshow, magic, mentalism. Also eventually moving into seance and "ghost" shows.

Quote:
On Feb 6, 2024, Darkness wrote:
Has the business considered hiring a professional magic consultant who has experience in this area? They may produce better results, or are you just trying to do it yourself? Shouting out on social media type platforms when the business bottom line is at stake imo is ok, but I wouldn’t rely on it. Best of luck the idea is solid.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Darkness
If you're hiring performers for shows, consider whether they have the expertise to consult outside of their gigs. Talent agents or entertainment management services might have connections to such consultants; reach out to them. Remember, not all performers can offer both services, just like not all great performers are good teachers. Consider running auditions or compiling a list of potential consultants instead of trying to implement magic effects yourself. Best of luck!
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM