The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
A new series on NetFlix .Modern day takes on works by Edgar Allen Poe

Extremely well written, filmed and acted A share of very blue language; But also, some of the finest most poetic material I HAVE ever heard.

Kotahs' opinion has deminished here; so do as you will

Take a chance on watching it or not.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I'd forgotten this was coming out. It's Mike Flanagan who did the Hill House and Bly Manor series. Be interested to see how he's brought it into modern times.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2206 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
It started off a little slow, but picked up the pace. Pretty good for a modern day take on Poe.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
I agree, Mad Jake.
We almost stopped watching it after the first episode.
I love all the references to Poe's other stories & characters. Like when Hop-Frog was in the (spoiler).
So far, some cool deaths.
On to Episode 4.
(There are only 8.)
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
594 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
I've only just finished episode two. Here's my take.
Love the storyline so far with it's "Hill House-ian" ghost appearances.
The character of Verna was a bit too easy to discern, and I'm not that astute, but anxious to see where they take her.
Episode two (and I'm not a prude nor easily offended) seemed more excessive than necessary, but that's just nit-picking.
Really enjoying all the in jokes/references. LOVE Mark Hamill's "Pym Reaper!" Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.
Must see Halloween TV if you're not easily offended.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
594 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
RE: Masque of the Red Death"
Forgot to mention one of my favorite (and first) Bizarre presentations: "The Curse of the Black Death" by the Black Hart! Amazing for walk-around. Worth every penny or pound depending on your country of origin!
Would make a great and timely addition to someone's repittoire tie in to this show!
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Been working through a few Poe stories and making effects to use teaching 12 years olds about gothic literature. Done Masque of the red death and a little raven effect. Got an idea for the tell tale heart but looking for a little anatomical heart to use.

The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I really enjoy the serie.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
594 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Just finished.

I loved it. The characters, the horror, the message.
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Finished it up last night. Agreed that it was most enjoyable. Thanks KOTAH for the recommendation.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2023, KOTAH wrote:
A new series on NetFlix .Modern day takes on works by Edgar Allen Poe

Extremely well written, filmed and acted A share of very blue language; But also, some of the finest most poetic material I HAVE ever heard.

Kotahs' opinion has deminished here; so do as you will

Take a chance on watching it or not.

My son of all people recommended this... Loved the first two so far!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I finished it last night. Very enjoyable, liked how they'd taken each Poe story and weaved them together. Right down to slipping the poetry into the conversations. I can see several of the cast getting awards for their parts.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Keep getting this prop store link pop up on my Facebook. $1000 seems a bit steep for a foam brick. Pretty sure even the worst prop creator can recreate that one.

https://propstoreauction.com/auctions/ca......noT11Dxq
Station10
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of Station10
I binged on the series several weeks ago and absolutely loved it. A modern retelling that retained the essence of Poe and the darkness he is known for.
John Gilmore
www.blindeyemagi.com

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." ~ Harry Houdini

"To Strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield!"
~ Alfred Tennyson
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
594 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Saw the propauction items too. I'd love the bottle of Amontilado or the test chimp, but seriously doubt the Mrs would allow the expenditure! LOL
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Yes, don't think mine would be impressed much as she enjoyed the series, but at the price I'd at least expect the bottle to be full.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
597 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I'm watching this now. Today's date (November 20th 2023) is mentioned by Dupin within the first ten minutes of part 1. Very very spooky... Smile
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
597 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
It would be really great if they change the stated date every day. Brilliant.