The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Cabinet Cards (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
This has been a truly special set I've been working on over the last month. Intrepid/Bob had received some of reproduction cabinet cards in another set and asked if I could make a set with particular "characters" in: priest, nuns, maids, nurses, emergency services, sailors, twins, children, all sorts gone into the stack. Started as a smallish set and I think ended up about 50 by the end. The idea was a generic set of cabinet cards that could be used to perform a whole run of effects with the same deck. It contains a mixture of genders, ages, professions and a few specials.

Within the stack there were requests for particular religious figures and the cross for soul survivor type effects.

There are mini stories within the stack like the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904. I made the newspaper clipping and a few other bits to go with this. You've got Goliath the fire horse.

A Baltimore celebrity.

I'm fascinated by portraits like these and love making stories to go with them. The investigations gone bad, police robberies, exorcisms, they really spark the imagination.

A little spirit photography.

Then there are a few gaff cards of double backers and facers that don't have a purpose as yet, but are there should an idea come along. Then a few duplicates of particular characters were made for predictions, etc. Intrepid had the idea of putting the cards within plastic sleeves. In this way he can then add information he wants for particular routines such as OOTW. Obviously the design of the cards with the photo part as a separate piece of card means they can't be used for super slick card shuffles, but for taking self working routines they should be great for putting new spins on old tricks. I was a little sad to see them go in the post but I know Bob has a whole load of ideas to get stuck into with these.
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Very nice indeed, Joshua. Were the photos already mounted on the thicker stock or did you mount them? I really like the looks of these.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I mount them. I've tried them as one piece withe photo part of the front but it doesn't look right.
Ibmerlin
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Ibmerlin
Those are awesome.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Joshua really did an amazing job in creating these, including a number of gaffed cabinet cards too!
Bob
UnicornLair
View Profile
New user
Wasilla, Alaska
26 Posts

Profile of UnicornLair
These are really beautiful Joshua. I have to say the Goliath is my favorite.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Goliath and the little bits around the Baltimore fire made for a nice little story within the larger set. They were nice making as you end up imagining each photo as having a different personality and forming stories around each character.