The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Jumping Disc source (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Those of you who like Lovecraftian Magick would definitely appreciate Docc Hilford's booklet "Mountains of Madness". Basickally, it's a one-man Lovecraftian seance.

In the book, an item called a jumping disc is used. Docc mentions that this item can be purchased from Edmund Scientific. Actually, I got one of these MANY years ago from Edmund Scientific, but no longer have it. Unfortunaltely, Edmund no longer lists these either on their web page, or in their hard-copy catalog.

Basically, this is a small disc of metal which is slightly curved shaped,like a small contact lense the size of a quarter. You place this item on the table and the "curve" is pushed down to make it concave on the table. After some time, the disk will rebound back to the original shape, causing the disc to "jump" off the table. I believe this rebound is caused by temperature change, or something like that.

I believe a similar item is sold in the UK as a jumping coin.

Now here's my real question ... does anyone know a current source for these jumping discs? These discs were also mentioned by Tony Andruzzi in his writings and one is also used in an effect by Bill Fienning in the Altar Flame, as well as discussed in his lecture held at the last ICBM Gathering.

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Dave,
I ordered these years ago from a company called Johnson Smith Co. I'm not sure what they were called but if you go to the website, there is a number for customer service that you can call.
johnsonsmith.com
Good luck!
Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Magickman:
Thanks for your suggestion. It's worth a try. I know Johnson Smith used to sell these discs some years ago, but hasn't advertised them for a while. FrankStone wrote me off line and stated that these discs are no longer made, so I'll probably have to come up with another solution.

Just as an FYI for everyone, the disc is not used to make anything jump, but rather its "popping" noise is used to create the sound of a pencil magickally breaking within a closed box.

Dave
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
429 Posts

Profile of Seance
Dave,

I used to use tongue depresser sticks to make the cracking sound of a pencil breaking in the box, but now I just use one of the little digital recorders that I can just pocket. Easier to control.

Dave Janoskie
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
In the US, do a search for "jumping metal discs" or in the UK they can be got from a company called "grand illusions"
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Here's a link
Jumping Metal Dics

You can get them custom logo designed.

Cheers
Frank
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Thank Neal and Frank. I have found some since 2003. I forgot about this thread.

Dave
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey! We played with those as kids! Not sure exactly why they exist but they were fun.

Lenny the K
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Jim Magus listed the current source in his excellent "arcana of bizarre magick"
I think they're basically thermostats before they've been built in to a device.