The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: The Blue Room illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SamOne
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of SamOne
make me think about creativity back in da days ...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCQiocETD9c
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
No camera tricks?
Ok...I have some theories, but not some good ones.
Nice illusion. Great presentation.
Gwyd
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Wicked...

I remember seeing this in an issue of Magic Magazine -- but never got to witness it with my own eyes.

This was a gift.

Many thanks!
xxx
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Another vid of my uploading!!
Yes no camera tricks.No idea how its achieved but its a beauiful presentation.
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
Very careful prop placement and a mirror that fades from fully silvered, to partially silvered, to glass.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Not any old mirror though.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I saw the illusion on one of those magic TV specials a few years ago. It is beautiful. Unfortunately, with this computer I can't see any of those videos.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
You can get this illusion on DVD with several other terrific effects here http://www.amazon.com/Lance-Burton-Secre......p;sr=8-1
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
I really loved the Blue Room the first time I saw it.

The DVD Payne is posting about is a great buy at $5.98. It contains two of Lance Burton's specials and the special "Hidden Secrets of Magic" which includes the Blue Room, the original sawing, and one of my favorite performances by Omar Pasha among others.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
It is a great story even without having any words. I think it makes the effect stronger having such a great presentation with it. I can't help but think that it must have scared the people way back then (mid 1800's) when they saw something like that. I am sure it would send chills up my back watching something like that live and in person.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
NICE!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Very nice find payne!
xxx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So how the H. E. L. L. do they do that?
PM me with the book resource please. Maybe this could be moved to the place BELOW ???/ Smile
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I'm with Slim...
I really want to know this one.
Gwyd
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
They went over the workings in the January 1996 edition of MAGIC...

Page 52

;)
xxx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Can I purchase that on line?... Found it.
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
Wow I really thought this one was pretty well known in principle. There's a great old book called "Magic: Stage Illusions, Special Effects and Trick Photography", compiled and edited by Albert A. Hopkins... it was originally published in 1898... Dover started publishing it in 1976, I think I picked it up in the '80s in the local magic shop. It covers this illusion starting on page 532 under the title "Metempsychosis" and mentions that Kellar started performing it in America under the title "The Blue Room".

For historical purposes this is an incredible book, and even back then as a little kid who could put little of it to practical use I found it a fascinating read. Covers all sorts of old stage magic, dramatic theater effects, temple machinations of the ancient greeks, trick photography from the early early days and much much more... if you can still find it I highly recommend it.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
739 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
And the flower girl at the start...my wife Lesley....
TC Tahoe - The Intuitionist
The 33rd Most Interesting Man in the World
http://www.tctahoe.com
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I love this video. I have used the Blue Room illusion before (if researching this, be careful as some people use the term to be synonymous with the Pepper's Ghost, but the Blue room is both more complex and more versatile) but what I have not done is use it for multiple transformations as done in this video. With very careful choreography it opens the door too all kinds of opportunities. I must give this more thought.

Dave
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I am lucky enough to have Hopkins' book. Yes, it is an excellent book and a very interesting read.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE