The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Halloween Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I'm planning on doing a little "impromptu" magic at a Hallowween party this year. I'd like to start off by talking about how the "barrier" between our world and the spirit world is "thinnest" on Halloween. I have a whole spiel that invloves the origins of Halloween and the Mexican Dia de los muertos (day of the dead).

What I'd like do is summon a ghost and then do a few effects involving the "summoned" ghost. [Psychokinetic touches, The Crystal Locket (Corinda), Haunted Deck, etc...]

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do to summon/contact the ghost?

How about effects to do with the ghost (once summoned)?

Thanks
What is the color of magic?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
You can add a haunted key. Smile

As for summoning the ghost if you want to use a prop, how about Glorpy (Hyrmum the haunted hank). You could use it to manifest the ghost. Say that the hank belonged to some guy that died years ago and you are going to use it to act as a barrier to the other world. Then have the ghost get away from you. Smile
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
IT is great for eerie effects. You can make things float and move, blaming it on a ghost.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile

Also try a plate mover for making things tip over. I would also suggest "Capricornian Tales" for some GREAT effects.

"Capricornian Tales" is a marvelous book by Christian Chelman.
A must for anyone doing Bizarre effects!

Most magically yours,
WR Smile Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
A telekinetic timber or one of the various psychokinetic pens works well. Spirit writing can be manifested using the out to lunch principle with a stack of business cards.
As a side note if you are going to be talking about the Celtic origins of Samhain (what our modern halloween is based on) it is pronounced Sow-in not Sam-hain.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Mind, Myth, and Magic discribes constructing a cleverly gimmicked glass (or plexiglass) rapping surface for seances.

There are a few effects in Steven Minch's "Mind over Matter" that could be tailored towards a more "ghostly" presentation (rather than a psychic one)
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
O.k. I may be over simplifying the issue here but, "can you say Corrinda?" Last section of the book... tons of great stuff that works!

I know much of it sounds a bit hokey, but I've used a great deal of this material with strong success...

REMEMBER: When doing a Seance/Spiritualists act LESS IS MORE!

Another awesome resource would be Rick Maue's Book of Haunted Magick and related videos, etc.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I'm having difficulty locating these books. Apparantly Capricornian Tales is out of print. The biggest magic shop in the area (Hollywood Magic Co.) doesn't have anything by Rick Maue (grrrrrr!).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll review Corinda and see if anything jumps out at me. Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Here's a link to Rick's "Chamber" You should be able to find links out of there to his shop/retail services (besides, the tour of the Chamber might give you some ideas.)

http://www.deceptionsunlimited.com/ct1.html
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Thanks, that's a very cool site. I think I'll order the book from him directly.

I was skimming Corinda at during lunch. You mentioned the "last section" as being a great source. Isn't that the section on P.R., followed by an interview?

Maybe I've got a newer printing, but the section of Mediums may be appropriate.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dr. Mage,
Check out the e-zine Visions (www.online-visions.com) and my monthly Bizarre Bazaar column, specifically The Key to Borley Rectory, and The Vampire Lives.
They might be of some interest to you.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Tie some T (not IT, just plain sewing T) to a flattish ring (something like a canning jar gasket), arrange this rig under the table cloth, attach the other end to your body, lean back and make your crystal ball (or a haunted toy ball) move all by itself.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-21 17:22, Dr Mage wrote:
Thanks, that's a very cool site. I think I'll order the book from him directly.

I was skimming Corinda at during lunch. You mentioned the "last section" as being a great source. Isn't that the section on P.R., followed by an interview?

Maybe I've got a newer printing, but the section of Mediums may be appropriate.

You may be right on that... towards the back there is a section on Seance work & Spiritual type routines. Smile I have used and still use most of what is outlined in this section with tremendous success.

Though I might be off a bit on the title, you might look over at the Hades Publishing site and find a manuscript entitled "Uncanny Power" by Dexter (I believe)... if you are any good at electronics some of the material in that book will prove a boon when mixed with the Corrinda thoughts... then again, if you have some very deep pockets to tap, you might check with Samhain here, he's got a few ditties that have driven people up the wall (I mean seasoned pros that know this stuff!) Smile

Best of luck!
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
[quote]On 2002-09-22 10:02, Darmoe wrote:
Quote:
then again, if you have some very deep pockets to tap, you might check with Samhain here, he's got a few ditties that have driven people up the wall (I mean seasoned pros that know this stuff!) Smile

Best of luck!

Where would I find this "Samhain"?
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
[quote]On 2002-09-23 13:33, Dr Mage wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-09-22 10:02, Darmoe wrote:
Quote:
then again, if you have some very deep pockets to tap, you might check with Samhain here, he's got a few ditties that have driven people up the wall (I mean seasoned pros that know this stuff!) Smile

Best of luck!

Where would I find this "Samhain"?

Look through the membership, he's around here somewhere...
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

Thanks for the compliment. Currently only producing a very limited bit of stuff. I suggest you invest in some Kevlar thread, some candles, a cold spot (search for T. Everett Bookings), and some good music.

Have Fun!
Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com