The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Mildew smell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
keeper
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee, FL
57 Posts

Profile of keeper
I just picked up some manuscripts at a great price. Although they were in good condition they had a musty smell to them. There is no visible mildew just the smell. Two questions:

1- Is there a process that I can rid them of the smell without ruining them.

2- Is it safe to put them in my library- or should they be isolated.

Thanks
Make every day a magicial adventure

Al
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
The musty smell may be coming from fungus you can't see. Fungi need a dark, warm and damp environment to thrive. If you expose each page to sunlight for a few minutes, you may be albe to kill the source of the smell. Sunlight has its own downsides, though, as it bleaches ink and paper in the long run. So there are tradeoffs.

I'd keep these items isolated, as fungi can spread through the air.

I see that you live in FL, so you live in a warm humid environment. If you don't want to expose the pages to sunlight for a short time, perhaps you could try leaving them open in a room with air-conditioned - but dry - air, and see what that gets you.

Good luck.

Clay
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
On non-critical items, I have used Lysol® spray to get rid of the musty smell. I open the book and fan the pages, then give a light spray above it, letting the Lysol® settle on and between the pages. I don't saturate the book.

I've never had a problem with this, and have never damaged a book. But I have also never done it to a 17th century manuscript, either.

Sunlight is probably a better solution.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
You can also microwave the book to kill any critters that may be present. This is a technique that is used by antique dealers. I have done it with some older books. You should probably experiment with some unimportant books of a similiar size.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
What I would do is too freeze the items first. A day or two would be fine to kill most anything. Then take your items and put them in a plastic bag. Then place USED (must be used!) dryer softner sheets in the back. If you can, try not ot have them touch the books etc. The more sheets you use, the faster the odor dissipates. It should take 2-3 weeks depending. Hope this helps.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]