The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Books bow out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this. My question being, what can I do about my books that seem to bow out, starting at the spine and going to the edge. The best way I can describe this is, If you were looking at the book from above and the spine was facing you, both covers (front & rear) bow out and as you are looking at them they have the shape of a "V". How can this not only be corrected, but also prevented.
Thanks for any help,
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This condition indicates a change in humidity. I would strongly recommend putting some weight on the book. If you put many books together on one shelf, the pressure on the covers will keep them from bowing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Bill,
So would you suggest laying the books on their side with the weight. I have a number of books on the shelf, but try to keep the spine (with the title showing) all even with the other books.
Rennie
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Rennie,
I keep all of my books shelved with other books of the same size to avoid this problem. If you put a large book on the shelf with smaller books on either side of it the covers of the larger book will tend to bow as you have described. I also put protective covers ( obtainable at http://www.gaylord.com ) on all of my books to protect the dust jackets.

You might want to visit http://www.booklogist.com and follow their links to sites dealing with book repair issues.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2772 Posts

Profile of sethb
In many years of book collecting, I have only had one book bow out as you described. It was that way when I bought it, and has resisted all my efforts to flatten it out.

I suspect the problem was caused by moisture and/or water damage, although there are no water stains on the covers. A very curious problem! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Epoptika
Really appreciate that info.
The Gaylord site is very intriquing, I will probably order the protective covers, however the 2nd site you listed will not come up. Would like to check that one out also.

sethb
Keep watching this post and we may get our answer.

Rennie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Try this one http://www.bookologist.com/ There was an o left out of the original post.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Thanks Bill! I forgot to proofread my post.

P.S. As Bill and Seth both point out high humidity and moisture are a books worst enemy. I lived in a house with no air-conditioning for several years in Florida and it was murder on my books (and leather). Sunlight is another enemy to be avoided and even bright light coming through your blinds will quickly fade the spines of your books