The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Essential non-sleight books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Just wondering what you guys thought were the few most important books not pertaining to learning actual tricks... books that every magician should have. These can be biographies, books on showmanship, or even non-magic-aimed books.

I'll suggest Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms. It helped give me a better grasp of HOW to go about performing.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
How to Win Friends and Influence People.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2773 Posts

Profile of sethb
STRONG MAGIC by Darwin Ortiz -- the best $45 you'll ever spend for a magic book with no "tricks" in it. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
I actually found Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber to be more helpful/insightful than Strong Magic. It's my favorite book along with Magic and Meaning.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2773 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hmmm, I wasn't aware of "Maximum Entertainment," but it looks like a good read and the same kind of information. If it's as good or better than "Strong Magic," it will certainly be worthwhile.

Thanks for the posting, I've ordered it and will be interested to read it. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Maximum Entertainment is a great book, as is Strong Magic. I still place Strong Magic at the top of the list. But that is just my personal opinion since it's focus is more along closeup, which is my strength. They compliment each other well, though.

My favorite books change constantly. Right now the top ones are:

David Ben's "Dai Vernon: A Biography"
Todd Karr's "Germain" biography

Finally, "Houdini" by William Lindsay Gresham. This one isn't the best biography on Houdini, by any means. But it was my first magic biography I read, and one that I carried around every day as a kid. It was this biography that made me really want to be a magician.

Scott

P.S.
I don't want to come across as pimping myself, but Pepka and I just did a full show about our favorite books and why. You can listen at ReelsinMotion.tv
abercrombe
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of abercrombe
I just finished reading Beyond Deception by Tobias Beckwith and for a small book (123 pages) it has helped me to be creative and know where I want to go with my magic. This is a great read. I also have started reading Scripting magic by Pete McCabe. We all need help in improving our magic but we also need to learn other things besides trcks. Scripting will help with making your routines much stronger. I recommed both of these books.
Abe
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
I used to love "absolute magic" too, but then I gave it away to someone. The problem was that I started to make somebody else's model of magic my own. It just didn't fit. Derren Brown is no doubt very good in what he does, but my style is of course very different.
Beyond deception sounds interesting, though.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-12-28 00:32, abercrombe wrote:
I just finished reading Beyond Deception by Tobias Beckwith and for a small book (123 pages) it has helped me to be creative and know where I want to go with my magic. This is a great read. I also have started reading Scripting magic by Pete McCabe. We all need help in improving our magic but we also need to learn other things besides trcks. Scripting will help with making your routines much stronger. I recommed both of these books.
Abe

I second 'Scripting Magic' by Pete McCabe.I recently received this,and I predict this will be one the most important books ever...for performer's who would like to make their magic more effective.It's difficult to put this book down...keeping me up way past my bedtime.
Some of today's finest performers have contributed their scripting ideas and methods to this book.A superb investment.

Rich
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1548 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 00:19, Bill Palmer wrote:
How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Bill, it amazes me how everyone missed your comment! I'd suggest that one as well, along with Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover". Learn that book and you'll learn how to prioritize things so that you can handle your money you make so that you don't retire broke, and yet still be able to get the magic stuff !! Doesn't do any good to get to 65 and have a ton of magic, but can't afford to eat!

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27316 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Couldn't hurt to have some idea of what magic is "supposed to" look like, so I go with Neil Gaiman's "The Books of Magic" and Richard Bandler's first few NLP books up to "Trance-formations".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
The Dariel Fitzkee trio, "Showmanship for Magicians" "Magic by Misdirection" "The Trick Brain". These I find are still classic and WILL make you think.

I found "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber to be quite good.

"Beyond Secrets" by Jay Shanky while often contradicting itself none the less does make you think about your performance also.

I think a book NO magician should be without is any good book on Stage management. Many a magician desperately needs one!

A good book on Human psychology and one on general acting technique wouldn't hurt either.

regards,

mark
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Have you ever seen a "Trick Brain" act? There are very few that are actually any good.

For example, a very famous performer used to do an act where she did all the classics except the egg bag and the linking rings with phonograph records. At one point, she produced small records as in the Miser's Dream. Nobody ever bothered to let anyone know that this did not make sense. It makes sense to pull coins out of the air. It makes no sense to pull tiny, non-playable records out of the air.

Somehow, the Zombie phonograph record was rather odd, as well.

Some "Trick Brain" acts do work, though. Marvyn Roy's "Mr. Electric" act is a prime example of one that does work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com