The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: 1929 Johnson Smith Cataloge Now Online (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Someone has scanned and posted online many of the items listed in the 1929 Johnson Smith novelty catalog.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingpowerci....../detail/
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Hmm didn't see those x-ray glasses I always wanted haha. Nice like airship, I love flipping through the old magazines kind of gives an idea of what was going on during that era.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Cool stuff - amazing what passed for acceptable back then such as "Darkey in a Watermelon," etc..
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Somebody else has posted a scan of EVERY page of the 1979 Johnson Smith catalog. Compare and contrast:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chinesejetp......2746070/
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
There are things here that I STILL want...
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Although I do find the ethnic humor in the 1929 catalog to be offensive, I find the idea that the poster has claimed copyright on this even more offensive. It is possible to excuse the thoughtlessness of the material in the 1929 catalogue, because it was socially acceptable back then. In fact, it is a cross-section of the things that people found humorous in those days.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Bill, that's mostly the way that Flickr works. It's designed for you to upload original images, so you set a default copyright level on your submissions. While you can change it for individual items, the process is painful enough that many people don't bother.

And, of course, anyone can claim to have a copyright without regard to if they are the rightful holder.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27316 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm okay laughing at the the comments about the callous indifference to violence and racism that was part of our culture back then - not at the items or mindset which still infects some members of our society today.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 13:12, Gordon wrote:
Bill, that's mostly the way that Flickr works. It's designed for you to upload original images, so you set a default copyright level on your submissions. While you can change it for individual items, the process is painful enough that many people don't bother.

Thanks for explaining this.

Quote:

And, of course, anyone can claim to have a copyright without regard to if they are the rightful holder.

That's true. However, it reminds me of an incident that occurred to me about half a dozen years ago. I was reading an interview that a well-known magical columnist did of a friend of mine. It appeared on line shortly after the fellow being interviewed passed away. As I read the interview, I began to realize that it wasn't an interview at all. It was a verbatim copy of part of a book I had written about the fellow being interviewed. To add insult to injury, at the end of the interview, he inserted the following:

This article copyright 2001 by X--- X------, but you may quote it if you ask nicely.

Well, I didn't ask nicely. I e-mailed him and called his hand on it. And the people who published the interview pulled it off their web site. They won't ever publish another interview by this fellow.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com