The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: The Card Magic of Le Paul: Quality of photos in older edition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Hi all,
I have located a softcover copy of The Card Magic of Le Paul 4th edition. It was published by D. Robbins and Co., 1959.

I read at least one post on the Café' that cautioned that the new copies of Le Paul's work that are being sold have photos which have not reproduced well and are therefore not helpful. Obviously, this 4th edition copy I am referring to is much older. Does anyone have this edition (or has seen this edition)? If so, could you please comment on the quality of the photos?

Your responses will help me make a decision regarding purchase.

Thanks,

Angelo
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The earlier edition was printed on coated paper, and the photograph were much clearer.

I don't think D.Robbins Co.first published it. The company bought publishing right for Tarbell Course, Star of Magic, etc and published them in non-coated paper.

Hideo Kato
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I have a later reprint and while the photo's suck, they are good enough for you to learn the material.

It would be great if someone republished this and Stars Of Magic in newly illustrated editions These are two of the best buys in magic.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Hideo and wsduncan,
Thanks for the info and advice. I will probably go ahead and buy. I too wish more of the classics would be republished as high-quality reprints. Maybe someday .... .

Which printing of the Stars of Magic is best? Someday I may get a shot at it.

Regards,
Angelo
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Angelo

I have this edition. The pictures look like newspaper photos, but are easily clear enough to make out and wouldn't cause you any problems in learning the material.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Caliban,
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I need to make my decision. Since the pages are uncoated, I was afraid the photo quality would be so poor as to make the photos unusable.

This forum rocks!

Regards,
Angelo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Angelo:

I don't think the D.Robbins copy was printed in 1959. It is probably copyright 1959. I have a Tannen's copy that was copyright 1959. Both books would have the same copyright date, since they are the same book.

Sometimes booksellers confuse the copyright date with the printing date. They can be decades apart. The Magician's Own Book was copyright 1857, but my copy was printed sometime after 1890.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I have a copy which says it was the second printing published by Tannen obviously after 1959 as it lists LePauls dates as August 2, 1900-June 8, 1959. The paper is slightly glossy and the photos are excellent

Gil Scott