The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Ken Klosterman's tour through the Salon de Magie now available. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just received my copy of Ken Klosterman's Salon de Magie. This is an incredible tour through one of the great museums of magic. For a review go here.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......10&0

Bill
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7676 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Looked over a copy at the NEMCA Convention. It is an incredible book. Very well done. I ordered my book and figure it could become a highly sought after book in a few years.

But my copy will not have my name on it like yours Bill. I am just a poor flower fakir.

BTW, enjoyed our bird cage conversation in the hall. Always a pleasure to talk with you.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks, Richard. I enjoyed it, too. I wouldn't have been able to afford my copy had it not been for the kindness of Ken Klosterman, and his need to find a contact in Germany.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Rick Belford
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Rick Belford
Received the book yesterday. Thanks, Ken, for such a beautiful book and accompanying DVD! I will post a full review as soon as I get deeper into the book.

Rick Belford
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
The Salon de Magie book arrived and it is beautiful. Just took a quick peek through it and I can't wait to sit down with it later and really dig into it. Ken's collection is simply incredible. What a joy it would be to actually see this collection in person.
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
I agree, the book is really terrific. I almost finished it already.
For those who got there book, I thought they were a limited edition of 450 standard editions? I figured they'd be numbered but can't find a number anywhere on mine. Are your numbered?
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Received my copy on Monday, and was also a little surprised it was not numbered, or even mentioned that it is a limited edition, and to how many. Oh well, the quality of the material made me quickly forget all about it, until I read the above post - Ha Ha. I'll get over it.

This is an OUTSTANDING book and dvd. A feast for the eyes and hearts of magic collectors, and history buffs. The very thorough write-ups of each item are great, nice to know the history behind each thing. The biographies of other collectors of years gone by is also fascinating. It has already left me wanting more. I wish it would turn into the next Albo type set, running into multiple volumes to cover more of the collection. I guess only time will tell?

All have been given fair warning - buy your copy now or you'll be kicking yourself down the road – TRUST ME!!

Cheers, Mark Damon
Rick Belford
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Rick Belford
If you review Ken Klosterman's website, it states that the Collector's Editions (50 ea. copies) will be numbered, not the standard editions.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
He finally got his book published.

I'm sure he still wants the beer barrel.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Rick,

Usually when a book is a limited run, they are numbered so the buyer is certain that they are only printing that many and so in the future they can refer to that number to remind them that it was a limited edition. I just thought that since there were 450, they would be numbered.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Yes, so-called “collector’s” magic books printed in small-ish quantities are often numbered, but I tend to think that the biggest motivation for numbering them is “cachet” and attractiveness to a buyer – in other words, it’s a marketing thing. In theory, braintrust’s logic makes sense: numbering the copies is a way to somehow support the fact that the edition (or issue, as is probably the case with Ken’s book) is limited to the stated number of copies. And I suppose we collectors get comfort from that.

But when you think about it, it’s kind of silly for us to put too much stock in that. After all, who’s gonna go ‘round and make sure that there aren’t two copies numbered, say, “224”?

I’m reminded of a funny story Byron Walker told me about Arnold Furst which demonstrates the point. Furst compiled two booklets, Famous Magicians of the World and Great Magic Shows, both of which were originally published by Genii Publishing Company in 1957 and 1968, respectively (and later reissued by Magic Limited). Both titles were stated to be numbered copies of a “Special Autographed Edition.” So far as I am aware, the “Special Autographed Edition” was the ONLY edition ever issued. Smile But here’s the really funny part. After purchasing one of these volumes, the owner approached Furst to have his copy numbered and signed. He asked Furst what copy number was available. Furst’s reply?

“Which number do you want?”

:giggles: Smile

Clay

P.S. I’ve seen many copies of these titles which are neither numbered nor signed by Furst. CHS
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have one of the Great Magic Shows. It is neither numbered nor autographed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I just pulled out my copy of Great Magic Shows. It is listed as Copy Number 417 and signed by Arnold Furst. Should it not be numbered or signed? I bought it nearly 40 years ago at a little magic shop in Seattle.