The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Book Covers Bowing out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have been noticing a few of my books (notably the larger ones) when I remove them from the shelf the covers are bowed outward ( by this I mean if you look down on the book from above it, the covers are bowing out instead of setting flush against the pages ). Have no idea what is causing this or how to correct it. Would anyone here advise laying the books on their sides with heavy books on top as opposed to standing up? And should I leave them laying on the sides permanently ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Can't help but wonder if it's a case of the cover drying unevenly. I keep thinking of how wood will do the same thing under certain conditions. Might be a possible humidity and/or temperature problem.

You could try the flattening trick. Can't answer as to how well it will work.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Anyone else have any ideas for preserving my books as I try to keep them in as much a like new state as possible. I have heard that reading the books very often is also good for preserving them as opposed to letting them set. Again any help on preserving books would be greatly appreciated...
clynim, you may be right about the temperature / humidity thing as my library is in a cool (feels a little damp) room. But what is the correct temperature for books ??
Rennie
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Rennie:

If memory serves, a temp range between 65 and 70 deg. F. and relative humidity between 30% to 50% are good. BUT NOTE: what can really kill books is not that the temp or RH are somewhat out of those ranges, but an appreciable fluctuation thereof in a short period of time (say more than 2% within a 24-hour time period). Your bowed covers were probably caused by either an overly rapid increase in temp or an overly rapid decrease in humidity.

Regarding "I have heard that reading the books very often is also good for preserving them as opposed to letting them set," my guess is that you were told this in the context of handling leather bound volumes, in which case, provided the books are otherwise handled with care and clean, normally moisturized hands, then the natural oils in the hand help lubricate and protect the leather.

Hope this helps a bit.

Clay
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Clay,
I have to say you are a genius when it comes to books. I have read prior posts of yours and really appreciate all your help..
Thanks again,
Rennie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A book dealer who helped me start my collection recommended something that most collectors will cringe at. Remove the dust jackets from your books and wrap them around a cardboard tube. Then put the tube in a long plastic bag. The actual covers of the books are much more amenable to being handled than the dustjackets are. This will preserve the dustjackets.

If you must keep the dustjackets on, use the acid-free plastic that the librians use. Don't use other products, as they will shrink and bow your covers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com