The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Why do 'you' like the Tarbell Course?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Just a question, partially for curiosity sake, and partially a bit of research on our part.

For those of you who recommend the Tarbell Course, may I ask why and how YOU use it best?
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I first got Vol. Four at a magic camp in 1979, and promtly dismissed it as babyish - I mean, a Course in Magic?!? So I didn't look at it for 20 years. Then I realized a few years ago what a treasure trove this course was and went to work obtiaining all 8 volumes plus the Study Guide and Tarbell Companion. Once I "got" what was so special about it, the fact that a great number of old and new effects on the market can be found in the pages of Tarbell, I began to look at magic in a whole new way. I sought out the volumes that had routines for 1) Sucker Egg to Silk and 2) the Egg Bag and went from there. I use the Vanishing Wand in Vol. Two all the time, Clippo is in one of the books, and when I noticed an old ad for Grant's illusion, "The Farmer & The Witch" decided on a hunch to check Tarbell, and there it was in Volume Three. Also, the sections on showmanship and the history of magic are fascinating reading and it seems like one can find something new every time they open any of the books, no matter how long they've had them on the shelf. You'd have to pay thousands of dollars to buy just a few of the single effects and routines in Tarbell.

(The Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic group of books is also one of those sets that has routines that'd cost you easily $150 today right there within the pages.)

As Denny Haney often says when asked about a "new" effect, "It's In Tarbell".
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's loaded with effects and ideas and is an excellent research source.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
This is a bit like asking "Why do you like a dictionary, or an encyclopedia." I fell in love with volume 1 as a kid (back when the thought of buying the complete set was tantamount to the thought of buying a house -- expense-wise) but after working my way through it I new that purchasing the additional 6 volumes (this was long before the release of volume eight, which I now own, as well) was not as much of an option as it was a necessity. What I love most about Tarbell is this... in addition to whatever book or magazine I happen to have at any given time on my bedside table, I also have two constants: there is one of the 4 volumes of the collected Apocalypse, and one of the 8 volumes of Tarbell. Together, these two series provide one of the most comprehensive references I will ever need regardless of the main selection I happen to be reading at any given time.

Are you asking because you are considering the purchase?
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
If you don't have a copy you should get one. Along with Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, the Tarbell Course is a must-have if you are serious about magic, IMO.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

I am asking as a bit of market research regarding a new book we are releasing-
<BR>
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
It is a great resource that I turn to again and again. Many modern DVD's credit Tarbell in many effects. I always carry one random volume with me whenever I travel and read through it in my spare time time. I pick up soemthing new every time I read through it.

I also highly recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It is the best single book on the subject.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I believe that it was Jay Marshall that said, "If you could perform ten percent of the material contained in the Tarbell Course, you would be the greatest magicial entertainer in the world!"

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly!

If you want a free sneak peak at what we've done... you can read it here:

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/DustinSample.pdf
<BR>
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Dean & Julie (Lizards),
There are some nice ideas here. Thanks for the peak!
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

And thank YOU for the encouraging words!
<BR>
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Just the sheer scope of these books should make this a must have.Everytime I go through them I see something new.The cigarette/thimbles/billiard ball are just brilliant(and I'm actually interested in close-up).Doesn't anyone want to make volume9 please!
AJ
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Not so sure our new book would be considered a volume 9- but it might make you think of the other 8 books as having 50 times MORE material in them than they did before- enough for several lifetimes!
<BR>
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Its been around a very very long time.
even my dad has kept an entire set even
tho he doesn't read 'em anymore.

even though I am not a magician, I know
about them and every magician I know has
a set.

that tells you something.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Nemic386
View Profile
Regular user
Pensacola FL
181 Posts

Profile of Nemic386
I have a complete course for the collection aspect of it. although I only read it for reading's sake, I have learned a lot in the field of maturity. i.e when to talk during an effect and when to shut up. not that I am the greatest in the world and I am aware that sometimes my effects were EXCESSIVELY wordy in patter,but I learned probably the greatest thing ever...LET THE AUDIENCE TELL THE STORY. I'm sure that anyone could tell you that, but the fact that I learned it from tarbell makes the value far outweigh the monetary cost.
"Magic is knowing it's impossible, but believing in it anyway"
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Very nice!

Thanks for everyone's two cents so far, as well as for those of you who wrote kind words to me and Julie about our book, Dustin It Off which really is a tribute to Tarbell and the wealth of information there!

It is a shame MORE people don't take the time to really discover the kind of quality that is in the Tarbell books.
<BR>
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
BTW, the book is great! There's more than just what's in the book in the original Tarbell Treasures column. Go to the Genii Archive and search for "Tarbell Treasures" to see more.

(including some very familiar names Smile )
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Yes indeed Mister Scott Cram! Great things from you then AND now!

There's stuff in the book that was never in the column as well.... So, lots of good stuff to be had all the way around. Smile
<BR>
scintnl
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of scintnl
I will be teaching a course online based on the original Tarbell mail course.

The bennefit is thet each trick and lesson can be discussed, propose alternate methods, find suppliers, even upload videos of the tricks being performed
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27316 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are you gonna get your students to acquire a set of course material?

ie original books or the lybrary.com ebook version
...to all the coins I've dropped here