The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Robert Albo's Classic Magic Series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Hi folks,

I have some questions you may think trivial, but some collectors 100 years from will want to know....

For those of you who own volumes from Robert Albo’s Classic Magic series, a question about your dustjackets:

1. Are they clear acetate or clear vinyl? Most of you know this already, but acetate is a fairly stiff material (if you bend it very much, it ends up with permanent crimps, or fold marks), and vinyl is much more supple.
2. Do any volumes have flaps (like almost every dust jacket made for a book), or are some of them “pocketed” (i.e., kind of like the old yellow “Pee Chee” folders from high school, where the front and rear covers are each slid into little pockets, making it impossible for the dj to dislodge itself from the book).

Here’s what I have on my copies:

Volume 1 – vinyl flapped
Volume 2 – vinyl flapped
Volume 3 – acetate flapped
Volume 4 – vinyl flapped
Volume 5 – vinyl pocketed
Volume 6 – vinyl pocketed
Volume 7 – vinyl pocketed
Volume 8 – no dust wrapper
Volume 9 – acetate flapped
Volume 10 – acetate flapped
Volume 11 – acetate flapped

Some of you have helped me in the past with questions like these, so I’m hoping you’ll indulge me again. This is all for the work for an upcoming volume of Historians’ Guide to Conjuring (Redux). Even if only 4 or 5 of you respond, that would be a great help!

Many thanks in advance,

Clay
Meminisse Magicam

Posted: Sep 12, 2005 3:43pm
---------------------------------------------
Okay, I'm gonna try some guilt and see if that works...

Over the past few years I've done my best to provide information on books, where to look, what's in them, etc., in response to pleas/questions from many of you on this board. How 'bout a little help here... It sure would be appreciated.

Here's hoping the guilt thing works, 'cause it seems like nothing else is!

Clay

Posted: Sep 13, 2005 5:52pm
Maybe guilt is highly overrated?

Posted: Sep 16, 2005 8:10pm
Guess it is ...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will try to look at them tomorrow to see what I have.

Guilt worked.

Are you going to do an error sheet for the volumes? God love Bob for doing it but it is scary that in 100 years from now, his books are going to be taken as the gospel of who made what. There are errors.

Richard

Posted: Sep 17, 2005 3:19pm
Clay,
Here is what I have which may or not be the original way they were shipped. My ex wife made off with my original set and I scrambled to replace them.

Vol 1- Acetate
Vol 2-Acetate
Vol 3- Acetate
Vol 4- Acetate
Vol 5- Vinyl
Vol 6 - none
Vol 7 - Vinyl
vol 8- Binder no cover
vol 9- Vinyl
vol 10- Acetate
Volume 11- did not get

Hope it helps some.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Richard:

My thanks for your help. Question: on volumes 5 and 7, are the dj ends 'pocketed', i.e., not loose flaps?

I'm not doing an error sheet, per se. Rather, I'm trying to set the bibliographical record straight on Bob's books, which is somewhat confusing. It will be the second volume in my HGCR series, hopefully out this November.

By the way, other than the corrections Bob issued as part of the series, are you aware of any published third-party sources of corrections?

Thanks again...

Clay
cardcltr
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of cardcltr
If any one has volume 5 of the Richard Albo series for sale< I would be interested in buying it. Please let me know by pm
Barry
Barry Sokolsky
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Vol. 5 is really hard to get as Albo erroneously ordered fewer copies than the other volumes.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1805 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2005-11-22 18:52, cardcltr wrote:
If any one has volume 5 of the Richard Albo series for sale< I would be interested in buying it. Please let me know by pm
Barry

I also am looking for volume #5, as Pete said this was his lowest printing of any. I heard the total run was only 600. Of course that means only 600 people in the world have a complete set, what a shame huh?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
clittle
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of clittle
I posted this request in "Oldies but Goodies" then found this about books so am posting it again. Thanks!
Can someone tell me how many supplements make up vol. 8 Classic Magic Supplements?
Also, Dr. Albo did some other soft bound books or supplements. Anyone have a list of those? Thanks for the help.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
If somebody REALLY wants a complete set, check the latest Stevens mailing... here's your chance!
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A set, less the new one sold for over $5000
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
A set just went on eBay for $3800... I think it included XI.

Dave