The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: The Secret Life of Houdini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Could it be that the Russian language has changed since the days of Houdini? I have his Russian pitchbook and I showed it to someone from Russia one day. They told me that it was printed using the older version of the Russian language. This could be the reason for the different translations.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Letter P and N was differ in Russian language all times. Noga - leg (foot). Looks like this is just typo.
Matrona - old lady, chief of group of lady. Matryona (Matriona) - woman's name.

Apologize. Miracle man - Chudotvorets. Miracle - chudo. Charodeynic - Conjurer.

Pitchbook? What is this? On old Russian language?
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Do you have the Randi and Sugar book on Houdini? There is a picture of the pitchbook on page 53. If you look at the Spy book in this thread, take a look at page 225 for a picture of one of Houdini's pitchbooks. These would be sold at theaters were he was performing.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Hmm. Advertizing book... And one was on Russian language?
Such things strange for Russia. I never see any such books on my life. Not only by Houdini... I know only "Harry Houdini - unmasker of spirits" by Tolmachov, 1927.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I think the tile of the Book was Houdini King Of Chains.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Is Houdini - unmasker of spirits" by Tolmachov, 1927 available over by you?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Apologize. I have no this book. I just hear about it.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Do you have "Houdni His Life And Art by Randi and Sugar book? It's from the 1970's.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Unfortunately no.
My interests with Houdini - his Russian saga and fight with Robert-Houdin family...

Apologize. Just now I realize you are that man what mentioned under the pictures on Houdini book. If you have questions with some of artefacts with Russian language on your collection I will be happy to help you.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I appreciate it. Somewhere here, I have the translation. Where it is here is a mystery.

Are you just interested in Houdini VS Houdin?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Quote:
Are you just interested in Houdini VS Houdin?
Please, what do you mean? I have a lot of interests. Do you ask about magic, Houdini or my life?

I am interesting history of magic. The book of Houdini "Unmasking of Robert-Houdin" was not only about Robert-Houdin. I am interesting on all historical researches by Houdini and his team.

And, of course, to be a Russian, I am interesting about tails that all Americans was so great that most time of their life Russian Czars only dream to meet with them... I mean Herrmann and Houdini.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Ok. I got it. You like magic history and Houdini, like me. Do you have a Houdini books in English? I'm trying to find an image of the Russian pitchbook to show you. Maybe I'll just scan mine and post it here.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Apologize. I never wrote I like Houdini. I like research history about Houdini too.

I have no paper books. It should be little expencive if we realize date when he was death. Just electronic versions.

Book on Russian language (old Russian very good) will be interesting to me. Scans enough. But I am not sure our communication will be interesting here to all peoples...

P.S. Do you know Russian sources about visit of Houdini to Russia? Except satiric newspaper "Budilnik" (Alarm Clock)? May be just names of newspapers?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I really don't have any Russian sources for Houdini or magic. I did have a person over by you who used to conatct me every few years with something. He did find me the Ken Silverman book in Russian. When I asked Ken about, he never even heard about it. Do you have the Silverman book?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Yes, I have Silverman. Smile Full name "Houdini. Great and Terrible."
http://www.chtivo.ru/chtivo=3&bkid=510373.htm
http://www.books.ru/shop/books/168767
But I supposed it was translated officially.
There are Silverman 1996 copywright, translator Artemov 2003 copywright and Publisher "Eksmo" 2004 copywright. ISBN 5-699-05248-8 (use this ISBN for search in Google)

Also in Russian was translated Gresham William. The Man move through Wall. ("Houdini the Man Who Walked Through Walls") 1993
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

That's the one. Some of my photos are in there, but there isn't any photo credits. Maybe it is, but I couldn't see it. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Hm. If I understand well "photo credits" its information under photo like "this picture from collection of ...."? No, there are no "credits" in Russian books. We do not use it and do not understand it. May be, if man who give photo famous or placed on photo, inside text will be written "This photo given to me by author..."

Copywrights we begin use only last 15-20 years. But this is not real copywright. We just write it on book "for beauty"... Just for Russian books looks civilised...
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

The use of photo credits is a way thanking the owner for taking the time and expense of the using his material. The book company usually pays for the usage of the photo too.

We use the copyright to protect the author. He should be paid for the work he did. If the author isn't compensated, why should he give away all the years he may have worked on the book and see nothing for it?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Dear Mr. Connolly.

Of course I understand all what you wrote. I just inform you about situation.
There are a lot of differences between nations.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

And there's many similarities too. Smile If you see the Houdini cricus photo in the book and then there is a page with a casket, another with Houdini and a rabbit and 5 women, those are from my collection.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com