The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Why do 'you' like the Tarbell Course?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
scintnl
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of scintnl
All the material will be posted. There won't be a need to buy anything else other that the props.

The material does not come from either the books nor the lybrary cd, but my own scanning and OCR
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Be careful not to use the material that is in the version published by Tannen's/Robbins. Some of that is not in the public domain. For example, Volumes 6, 7 and 8 are still copyrighted. All you may be able to use legally is the material in the mail order course.

Regarding Tarbell, itself -- there is enough material there that the unimaginative magician could work up an act that used only material in the book and be successful. An imaginative magician could use the material in the book as an inspiration for new material and be even more successful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
For decades I've meant to buy the Tarbell books. I'd see 'em in a shop and think, "Next time I need to..."

But didn't.

After reading this thread I went ahead and ordered the first seven. Will keep my eye out for others.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I think you will be glad you did!!!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-08-15 11:12, leapinglizards wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly!

If you want a free sneak peak at what we've done... you can read it here:

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/DustinSample.pdf

I think this is a great idea. I love Tarbell because it's an incredible resource of ideas and principles that can be modified, combined and presented in new ways, generation after generation. Everyone who does Magic has learned something from Harlan Tarbell, whether they know it or not.
It's the Encyclopedia Brittanica of Magic.
Your publication looks like it will make the point I have been trying to make for years, when someone tells me they are trying to find a new idea for a bill switch, or a mental effect for platform, or a whatever. Go back and see what Doc had to say about it, and go from there!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Thanks for the feedback! This book is based on material from my old Genii column Circa late 80's, and the idea always seemed popular!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Hm. As I say, I always saw these on the shelves in the shops, but thought the price was too high for me at the time...or some other such.

Now I've ordered 1-7...and then I ordered The Tarbell Companion.

I'm feelin' pretty good about FINALLY getting these books to add to the others in the personal library.

But it appears, at another site, that Vol. 8 is published by Robbins and edited by Burton and Kaufman and may have come out some time later.

Got a feeling the bindings might not match...but more important than that, is it a worthy addition to the first seven volumes plus the Companion?

Whaddya think?
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Does it become evident that the Tarbell books were always something I saw on a high shelf and never investigated fully (though the legend was pretty formidable) because I was afraid I'd fall in love with 'em?

Thought it did.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm trying to finish the first one. I'm finding it fascinating reading, but I've been having some concentration and retention problems lately. I'm thinking of calling a doctor on this.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rednef1
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of rednef1
Hello all, I was searching for info on the original mail order tarbell course when I found this forum. I have a complete original mail order course that my grandfather gave me years ago. I have been looking for anyone who may have one or if this is rare to own a complete original set? I have always wondered about the value of this, and if I should take extra steps to care for and protect it.
Any info or help would be great. Thanks
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Certainly you should take steps to preserve your old original mail order Tarbell course. I would find a copy of Leo Behnke's The Conservation of Magic and see what he recommends for this type of publication.

Complete sets of the original mail order course are not uncommon these days. At most collectors conventions, you will see one or two of them at the used book dealers' booths.

The value depends largely upon the condition.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com