The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Ebooks vs. regular books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Hey RevJohn,

You know you can save the step of punching by buying prepunched paper! It saves me a ton of time during the year.

Me, I like paper. Normally when I get an ebook I'll print it out (if allowed). I tried reading on my PDA but it so slow, the pages are too small, and when you get to be an old f**t like me, the font has to be made so big Smile

Dave
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
The advantage of having an ebook in PDF formaat is that you can print out what you want to study. Most magic books have one or two or just a few items of interest to any particular magician unless it is something like STRONG MAGIC.
But if an ebook is available, I prefer it on a DVD like Al Schneider's ebooks instead of the uncertainty of downloading.
Like many others in this field, I like to print out what appeals to me and keep it all in my own 3-ring "book of favorites" and that is much easier than having to go through several books looking for particular items.
The success of ebooks will depend on how convenient they become to the reader.
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
I find that reading from computer is tough for me as my eyes sometimes will tired. I am still prefer to read from books.

This doesn't mean that I don't like ebooks, on the other side, I like ebooks because it's easy to search for reference.

For instance, if I like to find an effect or routines in the ebook that using Elmsley Count, I just type in the search engine "Elmsley Count" and the search would be instantly.

Books will fill up lots of spaces in your cupboard or shelf, but many ebooks can be stored in just a piece of CD.

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks for the tip Lostsoul!

Actually, the only way I get an e-book is if it is the only way to get it. I love books. I was giddy when Hollingworth's book and the Paper Engine came out because of the quality. I am a book learner to be sure.

RevJohn
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like the way the e-book doesn't *flop* shut just as you're trying out a new sleight and trying to follow the text all at the same time.

But then that's what a 6-pack of beer is for. You just plop it on top of the book and it's held open.

Plus beer could spill on your keyboard and you'd have to quickly lift it up and let it all drip into your mouth so as not to waste any beer before it dries.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
Quote:
But then that's what a 6-pack of beer is for. You just plop it on top of the book and it's held open.

Plus beer could spill on your keyboard and you'd have to quickly lift it up and let it all drip into your mouth so as not to waste any beer before it dries.

all too true . . .
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
I'm an avowed fan of the printed word. There is an aesthetic to a printed book which gives me comfort. For other discussions on e-books versus printed books, try these links, the first one being perhaps the most on point. Clay

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......1#000027

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......1#000014

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......5#000010

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......5#000003
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I think the way E-books haven't achieved great success in general speaks to the fact that most people, if they are reading text for pleasure, prefer to read it in a book, not on a screen.

I find there's a huge difference between sitting down and reading for enjoyment and learning, and reading a computer screen all day at a desk.

I spend a great deal of time reading text on a screen during the day, and I really can't bear the thought of reading for enjoyment on a computer screen.

There's a third kind of reading, and that's exactly what everybody is doing here on the Café. For some reason I find that the only form of enjoyable reading done from a screen.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5482 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Overall I prefer printed books, but I find e-books to be a terrific alternative. I especially like the e-book when purchasing volumes of classic magazines (which I would love to see more of). I saved a ton of money on the complete volumes of Hugard's Magic Monthly, the Jinx and Phoenix. It's great to be able to print off a few issues at random, and most volumes have searchable indexes (although they tend to be a bit clumsy to use). Michael Close is starting to incorporate video clips into his e-book productions, which marks a point of logical evolution for the e-book that just might move it a step or two closer to finding its niche.
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Like Magiguy I prefer printed books but also find good uses for eBooks. One excellent reason for purchasing an ebook is when it is used for reference and constantly accessed. A printed book gets worn and tattered with constant use, greatly decreasing its value and usability. The search features with ebooks are another value already mentioned that I also put to good use. Each form of book has its advantages and disadvantages but in some cases its advantageous to own both!
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Can't burn an eBook.
Tarbell!
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
But make sure you have a backup in case your hard drive goes south.......
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
Regular hardbound books are best!
...but I have couple E-Books. It just feels more natural and comfortable to read a REAL book.

I Will stay in materialistic world.
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7042 Posts

Profile of magicfish
What on earth is an E book?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'll assume that you are serious. An e-book is a publication that is in digital form, usually as a .PDF file or as a .doc file. Some are also html files and/or .txt files. They are "electronic books." You can pack a lot of pages on a CD-Rom -- even more on a DVD rom.

But there are downsides to them as well. If they haven't been proofread properly, then you are likely to find errors in them. Most modern books are set up as e-books, sent to a printer, then produced and bound.

I think e-books are great for simply accumulating information. But I like a real book for reading.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com