The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Looking for a book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Hi

I was'nt sure whether to put this question here or in the book section but I believe I will get better results here. So my question is , does anyone know of a book about the big victorian stage illusionists, I'm thinking like a book about Thurston, maybe a biography? A book on Harry Kellar? I was'nt really sure where to look, I thought maybe some of Jim Steinmeyers books might be good, but I thought I'd look here first.

Thanks , Simon
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Simon,

Are you looking for biographical info on Victorian-era stage magicians, info on the illusions that were performed in that era, a mixture of both? Also, remember that the Victorian era was quite a long time! It lasted from the 1830s to 1900 or 1901, I believe. So that’s a lot of historical ground to cover, and in some respects magic changed dramatically during Queen Victoria’s reign.

Offhand, I can’t think of a book strictly dedicated to “big victorian stage illusionists,” but you might have some luck with Geoffrey Lamb’s Victorian Magic (London, 1976). Doubtless you will also find some relevant info in the general magic history classics by Sidney Clarke, Edwin Dawes, Milbourne Christopher and David Price. And if you’d like to get an idea of the tricks that were popular in the late Victorian era, Albert Hopkins’ Magic Stage Illusions and Scientific Diversions will prove a goldmine for you. It was first published in 1897, and was reprinted many times into the 1970s.

There are also of course the classic mid to later Victorian era magic textbooks, most notably Hoffmann’s Modern Magic and More Magic, and to a lesser degree, his Later Magic.

A list could go on and on, but with any luck the foregoing will prove helpful.

Clay
lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of lehmannbindery
Dear Simon,

The Victorian era ended in 1901 so I don't think magicians like Thurston would be considered Victorian. Caveney and Miesel's book on Kellar is excellent and fits more into the time period you are looking for. Steinmeyer's "The Glorious Deception" also covers this time frame and to me is the best of his books so far.

I hope this helps,
Frank
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I think you would be looking for performers in the 'Edwardian "era.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

I forgot to mention that Google Books has a large selection of the Victorian/Edwardian magic books scanned in. I've downloaded books my Cooke, Downs, Evans, Hoffmann, Houdini, Kellar, Maskelyne, Robert Houdin, Roterberg, etc. all for free.

Frank
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Who is Robert Houdin?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Bill, Bob Houdin was a car dealer in Denver back around 1987. Didn't know he'd written a book on Victorian/Edwardian magic though. Wonder if he wrote about Jean-Eugene Robert-Houdin?

*jeep! and God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

PS: http://www.forvo.com/word/jean-eug%C3%A8ne_robert-houdin/ demonstrates how the names of the car dealer and the magician don't even sound alike.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Good link!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Sorry for missing the hyphen.

Frank
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Say ten "Hail Jean-Eugenes" and perform an act of contrition. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
What effects would be included in an Act of Contrition?