The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Jack Baker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Well, Halloween is coming up any good stories about Jack Baker(Dr.Silkini)?????????
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Mark Walker's 1994 book, "Ghostmasters," has some great photos of Baker and a fairly complete history of his show, as well as the midnight spook shows in general. The fellow was apparently a great showman and made the most of a unique situation. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Thanks ! I know.
Jack was also a con man.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I didn't know that. But aren't we all? <grin> SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
LOL ya,but he was better at it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I saw WYMAN BAKER (the other Silkini)SPOOK SHOW when I was in high school, about 1948. Wyman was a good talker (as we used to say when I was "with it", working in a sideshow, "He had the 'gift of gab'."

The show travelled "light". Wyman did the "dancing handkerchief". He MAY have done the floating light bulb, I'm not sure. He did a one coin routine--simple, but very effective. He got a "committee" on stage, as a "hyp," show does. He had some schtick with a couple boys. I think it finished with breakway pants on the kid. The blackout was strong and effective.

The show closed with a "home made" sub trunk. (A camel back trunk with a "crude" top trap) It played strong.

The show was a sell out (*midnight"). They did a "bicycle" show. The overflow walked a block to another theater, and watched a spook movie, and then walked back to the first theater for the live show. It was about 3 AM, when the second show was ovr.

I only saw JACK BAKER, once, in Loew's Theater in Norfolk VA, about 1954. Jack carried a "dungeon" backdrop, and opened with a "standard" flower bouquet and fish bowl production routine. It was followed by "standard" spook show material--well done.

We had a nice visit after the show. You're quite right Andy! They were IMO, both "short con grifters"!

In September 1980, I was at Jack's funeral in Toledo, Wyman was there. We had a short jackpot session. He had gotten into promoting with a phone room operation.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
The Silkini show came thru El Paso a few times in the early fifties. Myself and a buddy got to meet the cast backstage at the Plaza theater. They was about 4 of them, two gls and two guys. Don't know which of the Baker bros it was but they were traveling light in a hearse and a truck to carry props.Could have been more people. The movie was The Thing, with James Arness (Matt Dillon) as the monster. (the movie was scarier than the blackout)This was about 1952. Don't rember much bout the magic but I do remember the Burned Alive gag and the usual line of audience members on stage for a trick while Frakenstein peeked behind the curtains and scared the ladies.
Neff did a better show with more magic and stage scenery. This was the good old days of the touring magic shows.

Oslund: You were in high school in 1948? Is that a typo and should be 1848?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Heqq no! Jim!

I started high school in 1848. I graduated (I have papers to prove it!) in 1949.

That first day in 1848, (it was a 'half room' school.) The teacher said: "Two plus two equals four." --I thought that arithmetic was going to be easy! (here comes the "but"):

The second day, she said: "Three plus one equals four. --I said: "Please! make up your mind. What is it going to be?"

She never called on me again.

I did graduate "magna cum lousy" and I was also Maledictorian. As you may know, "Male" is the opposite of "Vale".

The early '50s was the beginning of the end for the spook shows. A lot of amateurs were getting into the business. They couldn't deliver what the trailers promised. They would come in with a few props like Chinese Sticks, die box, and an egg bag, The blackout was a "nothing". The kids started cutting up the theater seats, etc., and the theater managers quit booking spookers.

It had been great while it lasted! The Baker 'brothers' coined some real cash!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Your only six years older than me, took a while to get out of high school?
Yea, people caught on and began bringing flashlights for the blackouts even for the big shows and that killed it here in Texas.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Your only six years older than me, took a while to get out of high school?
Yea, people caught on and began bringing flashlights for the blackouts even for the big shows and that killed it here in Texas.