The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Dai Vernon: What is your fondest memory and what made him so special? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
It has been very interesting learning about Dai Vernon. There appears to be many magicians here in the Café who knew Dai Vernon personally. It would be great if you would be willing to share a story or two about your interaction with Vernon.

What is your fondest memory of Vernon?
What characteristics made him such a special magician?

I appreciate your time in replying and look forward to learning more about this legendary magician whose work I greatly admire.

Sincerely,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
"Kato, show that trick to him". Professor repeatedly said this when I visited Magic Castle in 1970. I performed the trick five times that evening. Later, Larry Jennigs told me that professor really liked the trick as he asked me to perform it repeatedly.

The trick was later published in Vol.2 of Vernon Chronicles with the title 'The Trick That Can't be Reconstructed'.

In the explanation of the trick in the book, there was one mistake. The author wrote the trick was created by professor based on my move. But the truth was it was created by me based on professor's move. However, professor gave a final finness on the routine when the trick was published. So, it is safe to say it was created by professor and me.

Unforgetable memory is that I witnessed professor and Larry showed tear when they watched Dr.Sawa's magic when they visited Japan.

Of course I can recollect professor and Larry wearing Japanese Kimono when they stayed in Japanese inn.

I have more memories about these two greats.

Hideo Kato