The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: S. W. Erdnase Real Name? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Hello all,

I was studying a shift by Erdnase yesterday night and was trying to figure out what nationality "Erdnase" was. Maybe Scandinavian I thought. On closer examination of the name, S. W. Erdnase is E. S. Andrews backwards! Has this been found out before? Coincidence or Sobriquet?

Who knows...

Ben
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1805 Posts

Profile of Rennie
This has been found out before, many times..
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Chris Bristow
View Profile
New user
Warwick, Rhode Island
67 Posts

Profile of Chris Bristow
Acutually his real name is Milton Franklin Andrews I belevie. This book may be of interst to you. http://www.illusionstore.com/product_inf......c35b388b
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
309 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 09:21, bproud wrote:
Hello all,

...On closer examination of the name, S. W. Erdnase is E. S. Andrews backwards! Has this been found out before? Coincidence or Sobriquet?

Ben

I will have to interrupt my research on the identity of Erdnase to uncover the definition of "sobriquet." So much to learn in this forum....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Nick name.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Wow - that looks like a great book. It felt like uncovering a conspiracy when it dawned on me - Oh well.

Thanks,

Ben

PS - Sobriquet is nick name.

PPS - Cool thing about the origin of nick name: first started as "an eek name". Like "eek out a living". Slowly, it turned into "A nick name". Cool eh?
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 09:29, Chris Bristow wrote:
Acutually his real name is Milton Franklin Andrews I belevie. This book may be of interst to you. http://www.illusionstore.com/product_inf......c35b388b

I'm no expert on the matter but was under the impression that Milton Franklin Andrews is now widely refuted as the alter ego of Erdnase. I'm not saying your wrong Chris but I certainly have heard/read several times now of magic historians disregarding Milton Franklin Andrews as a possibility in regards to the real identity of Erdnase.

Anyone (preferably someone who knows more than I do, which is, in fact, just about anyone) care to expand on this?

Dave.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
You folks may be interested in this huge thread over at Genii about Erdnase:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......7#000000

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 09:21, bproud wrote:...S. W. Erdnase is E. S. Andrews backwards! Has this been found out before? ...

Folks have been looking for a gambler named Andrews for over fifty years, including Vernon.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
That's so cool. I missing link in the world of magic...

Ben
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Erdnase can be translated from German into a nonsense phrase, "earth nose".

I doubt it means anything, since it's generally been accepted as to how the author arrived at the name - the reverse spelling thing. By generally I mean by a bunch of obsessive magicians...
tjo'
J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
306 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
Check out the thread JimMaloney posted on the Genii forums, it's a GREAT read. If it was only available as a manuscript, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
be well,
JW
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Quote:
On closer examination of the name, S. W. Erdnase is E. S. Andrews backwards!
Ben

...his real name was javier lippshittz...
Deckless Wonder
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10970 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I beg to Differ,,,,,,,, his real name was
DICK HURTZ
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Yeah. E.S.Andrews was his real name.
I forget what E.S was for though
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 14:29, mc_magi wrote:
Yeah. E.S.Andrews was his real name.
I forget what E.S was for though

Glad that's settled.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
slakk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of slakk
According to Allen Kennedy, Dai Vernon was Erdnase's nephew.
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 13:46, phread wrote:
...his real name was javier lippshittz...

Never say something about a person, or call him a name, which you will not say to him in person Smile
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Chris Bristow
View Profile
New user
Warwick, Rhode Island
67 Posts

Profile of Chris Bristow
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 09:55, Dave Forrest wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 09:29, Chris Bristow wrote:

I'm no expert on the matter but was under the impression that Milton Franklin Andrews is now widely refuted as the alter ego of Erdnase. I'm not saying your wrong Chris but I certainly have heard/read several times now of magic historians disregarding Milton Franklin Andrews as a possibility in regards to the real identity of Erdnase.

Anyone (preferably someone who knows more than I do, which is, in fact, just about anyone) care to expand on this?

Dave.

You are probaly right. This is what a friend told me so I just went with that.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is ongoing research and discussion, pages of it, on the genii magazine forum. So far, nobody has found the original or drafts of the book, layouts or canceled checks or receipts for the book - work that tie it to a person as author. For all we truly know, the book may have been written as a conjuring book with a gambling section at the back, or as two books, then a good editor may have taken the sections, reversed them and written a new introduction. For all we know a temperance leader may have gleaned the information from recovering gamblers and some conjurers and written the book. Perhaps there was someone named Andrews involved in the book. The search goes on.
...to all the coins I've dropped here