The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Graves of Famous Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Arthur Bull from San Francisco. Pete Biro worked with him.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of lehmannbindery
Last time I checked, Vernon's ashes were still at the Castle.

Frank
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Do you need a photo or two of Robert-Houdin's grave in Blois?
Zadig
View Profile
New user
Italy
6 Posts

Profile of Zadig
You can find other graves of magicians on findacadabra (www.findacadabra.com).
If you know any other places that are not yet on the map, you can add them to the site: simply login (the registration is free) and click on "Create a New POI" on the top bar (read the Regulation page first).
Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I was just in Vienna and got a shot of Hofzinser's gravesite (sorry if this is redundant as I haven't read the entire thread). I'd be happy to send you a copy when I get home as well as the info as to the location in the Zentral Friedhof. Btw apparently they found Mozart and buried him there as well Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Karl Germain's gravesite is in Riverside Cemetery, outside Cleveland, Ohio.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
According to the following website, Bess is not buried with Houdini - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=2195

"At age 67, Bess died aboard a train bound for New York from California. She was not permitted to rest beside her husband at the Machpelah Jewish Cemetery in Queens, but is buried at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, New York. "

Clarification???
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-10-31 21:04, Uncle Yodie wrote:
According to the following website, Bess is not buried with Houdini - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=2195

"At age 67, Bess died aboard a train bound for New York from California. She was not permitted to rest beside her husband at the Machpelah Jewish Cemetery in Queens, but is buried at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, New York. "

Clarification???

I think she was Catholic.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
SJMiller
View Profile
New user
East Tennessee
61 Posts

Profile of SJMiller
Black Herman is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, in the Bronx, New York City. Location is Honeysuckle R18 G194. Last info I had was that it is unmarked.

Princess Mysteria, African American mentalist from the early part of the 20th century, is in Lincoln Cemtery, in Chicago, Illinois.

Personal research leads me to believe that Black Carl was buried somewhere in Kansas City, Kansas. Still working on locating specific cemetery.
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
And, of course, J. H. Houdini--
http://www.houdinisghost.com/jacobsgrave.html
I've got the picture about Lydah Hyman/Dorothy Dale.
In her obituary, the word burlesque is never mentioned. But she was in burlesque--which was much more innocent in her day. She started performing when she was 14. She'd have been 20 in 1903. Burlesque is where she was a glamour girl. She would also have participated in comedy sketches.
http://fluffy.library.oregonstate.edu/co......&cparam=
If she actually worked in Von Stroheim's "Foolish Wives," then she would have probably been in Hollywood in 1921.
Lydah and Jacob Hyman are listed in the 1920 Ohio census.
He shows up in the L.A. phone directory in 1922--the year "Foolish Wives" was released
Von Stroheim intended Foolish wives to run 6 to 10 hours over two nights.
The studio release was under 2 hours. Lydah made not have made the cut.
Her only other known, claimed, credit was DeMille's "the Ten Commandments" which was released 1n 1924.
It was on this picture that Lydah's facial skin was damaged by the bronze (probably containing copper sulfate) make-up she wore as a slave girl. I don't know if she made the final cut of that picture either.
I have four photos of Lydah from the thirties and she is not wearing the veil she often wore and she looks pretty good. She looks like an old showgirl--like many of Bessie's friends.
She is buried next to Jacob in the Graceland section of Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale, California.
There is a huge, beautiful, tree crowding Jacob's grave. Jacob and Lydah must be entwined in its roots. I have named it "the Houdini tree."
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 21:37, houdinisghost wrote:
And, of course, J. H. Houdini--
http://www.houdinisghost.com/jacobsgrave.html
I've got the picture about Lydah Hyman/Dorothy Dale.
In her obituary, the word burlesque is never mentioned. But she was in burlesque--which was much more innocent in her day. She started performing when she was 14. She'd have been 20 in 1903. Burlesque is where she was a glamour girl. She would also have participated in comedy sketches.
http://fluffy.library.oregonstate.edu/co......&cparam=
If she actually worked in Von Stroheim's "Foolish Wives," then she would have probably been in Hollywood in 1921.
Lydah and Jacob Hyman are listed in the 1920 Ohio census.
He shows up in the L.A. phone directory in 1922--the year "Foolish Wives" was released
Von Stroheim intended Foolish wives to run 6 to 10 hours over two nights.
The studio release was under 2 hours. Lydah made not have made the cut.
Her only other known, claimed, credit was DeMille's "the Ten Commandments" which was released 1n 1924.
It was on this picture that Lydah's facial skin was damaged by the bronze (probably containing copper sulfate) make-up she wore as a slave girl. I don't know if she made the final cut of that picture either.
I have four photos of Lydah from the thirties and she is not wearing the veil she often wore and she looks pretty good. She looks like an old showgirl--like many of Bessie's friends.
She is buried next to Jacob in the Graceland section of Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale, California.
There is a huge, beautiful, tree crowding Jacob's grave. Jacob and Lydah must be entwined in its roots. I have named it "the Houdini tree."

"The Houdini Tree". I like. Smile

I'm going to post my blog about our visit to "J.H." tomorrow, Patrick, with nice video of you. Smile
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Patrick and John,

I'm impressed with the depth of your research!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Thanks Michael.

A little teaser for tomorrow:
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2012/01/tomorrow.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Okay, here's my blog about our visit, complete with pics and video.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2012/01/......rst.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
SJMiller
View Profile
New user
East Tennessee
61 Posts

Profile of SJMiller
Harry Cameron a.k.a. The Great Carmo is buried in the cemetery of The Church of St. John the Baptist in Pebmarsh, Essex, England.
Zadig
View Profile
New user
Italy
6 Posts

Profile of Zadig
On Findacadabra (www.findacadabra.com) you can find many graves of famous magicians, some of them recently discovered. It’s also possible to add new spots to the map and upload photos.
Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Thursday Aug 8th 2013 at 3:45pm Al the Only will be doing the annual tour of Magics Final Act at Lakeside cemetery in Colon. You can download the map and tour info at the url below

http://magicgettogether.com/lakeside.html
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2011-02-21 22:55, Michael Baker wrote:
There are many in Colon, Michigan. I have some photos, as many other magicians probably do, too. Some of the photos that I have are of markers that were in place before the magician actually died, but have since passed away.

I believe Will Nichol (Nicola) is buried in Monmouth, Illinois. His brother, Charles (Von Arx) may be there, too. Monmouth is about 50 miles from me, so I may be able to check that in the future.

I think Lester Lake is buried in Indiana. Rick Fisher from FAB Magic would probably know.

Bill Neff is in Indiana, Pennsylvania.

I stopped to visit Leola LAWAIN when I was on the road for School Assembly Service about 25 + years ago. I drove her out to the cemetery to see Jack's grave. While there, I visited Nicola's and I think, Von Arx's graves, also.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2011-10-31 23:35, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-31 21:04, Uncle Yodie wrote:

Clarification???

I think she was Catholic.

Yes, Bess was Catholic.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
mblanckaert
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of mblanckaert
Dean Carnegie, I like your site and the efforts to create and maintain it. I just bookmarked it moments ago. Thanks.