The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: Credit where credit is due (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could help me find the original creators of the following.

(Force / Control)
*Selected card is on top of the deck. When the magician cuts the deck, they retain the top card with their fingers, causing it to be controlled to the middle where the cut takes place.

(Color Change / Control)
*Selected Card is second from the top. Top card is pushed forward. When magician squares the top card, the palm of the hand pulls back on the Selected Card, allowing the Selected Card to become the top card.
[I've seen this method often performed towards the bottom of the deck with the faces shown so it looks as if one card visually becomes another.]

(Removing Pip)
*Is there any history as to people removing pips by sanding or erasing?
I have a routine I've performed for years (predating my use of learning about other magicians through the internet). Therefore, to me, I've created an effect, but in the past few days, I've been searching & see many others have had the same general idea / routine as well that they've released. Here's two examples:
Jay Sankey "Reconstruction": http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2735
Perseus Arkomanis " Bleed": http://www.ellusionist.com/bleed-by-perseus.html

Is there an origin to these effects?

Thanks so much for any possible leads or knowledge you have on this. Over the years, I've learned how it's important to credit those who have helped develop our art, and I'd just like to know for my own general curiosity as well.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
The first two, slip cut and color change are in Erdnase. The erasure of ink on cards began as a way to mark the backs by gamblers.
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
Thank you, Steve!
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
When I was a kid (before YouTube & cell phones), I developed a way to perform a rising card by sandwiching a chosen card between other cards (Aces) that were out-jogged from the deck. By pushing the out-jogged aces back into the deck, it caused the selected card to rise. I'm making a tutorial & although I created this method, I wanted to see if someone had thought of it first & published it so that I could credit them. Any ideas?
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
That's Jack McMillen's plunger rise also known as "The J.M. Rising Card" published first in Genii then later in The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks and The Amateur Magician's Handbook. There is a neat variation using roughed cards in this month's Linking Ring. I think you mean in-jogged cards as out-jogged would be toward the spectators. It was first published in 1936.
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
Thank you once again, Steve. Smile
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
The color change you describe, which is indeed explained in Erdnase, is actually Houdini's.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic