The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: The self-working 33rd card trick? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
demo scene
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of demo scene
Does anyone know the origin and name of the effect where you f***e the card in the 33rd position? It's where you deal the top card face up and make the face value equal ten(example: the top card is 7, so you deal three face down cards), then you flip over the next card and repeat this process until you have three face up cards, the sum of which, equal the remaining cards to the 33rd card. If you need a better example I can make a video or something.
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Mismag does this on Youtube. I forget what he calls it, but I remember seeing it a few years back. Search there and you'll probably find it easily enough.
demo scene
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of demo scene
Thanks, I'll start there for the name. Hopefully I can use that to find the origin of it. Still, if anybody knows the history of the trick please let me know. It's such a underrated routine.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Giobbi has a trick "Numerology" on "Card College Volume 3" (page 700) that uses the concept. In the footnotes he says that the concept is explained in Martin Gardner's "Mathematics, Magic and Mystery" (page 7) with an improvement by Henry Christ (page 8).

Yehuda
demo scene
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of demo scene
Thank you so much. It's been driving me crazy trying to figure out where I learned the trick. I still need to get Mathematics, Magic, and Mystery. I wonder what Gardner's version is like? Anyway, thanks again.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
.....there is also the self-working 44th card trick....
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
demo scene
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of demo scene
Yeah, the principle works with any multiple of 11. Actually, I found it works for any multiple above 10, as long as you change your base number from 10 to any number higher than it. So if you wanted to make it the self-working 26th card trick, all you would have to do is say each pile must equal 12, then only deal 2 piles. It's strange that I've never read anyone talk about that. That's why I'm researching the history to make a video on it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
A version is in one of the Scarne books. Probably goes back quite a ways before that.