The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: Who was Joseph Cottone and what is the true snap? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Normally I don't give a @#$* about this sort of thing but I have just been reading over volume four of Hugards more card manip's.
In it are a couple of color changes by Cottone, the "Snap Change" and "The visible color change" His snap is a variation on the Herrmann pass as a color change idea
and his "visible" is exactly like the snap we all know except the card to be changed is on the face of the deck, however it is excecuted in exactly the same manner. Confused? look it up and see what I mean. The two changes are listed together "snap" first, then "visible". So what came first? Cottones Visible Color Change or Marlos snap change? Because I don't think somebody should get all credit for a move just because they had the bright idea of using a double instead of the whole deck, most people who learn the change as described will do this anyway as I did, and then find out later about the modern Snap Change and think "hey! I invented that!" Anyway If you have a copy of volume four look it up and let me know if I am just being too much of a geek on this one.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
I don't much about Joe Cottone But he lived here in Toledo,Ohio.
20 yrs.ago my old boss from the magic shop ,Ted Carrothers bought Joe's collection of tricks,books and bagles tons in cases?? I don't know why??
I have a few of the books he owned he always wrote little notes in them.
I was thinking he was a closet magician then I saw him in print in Hugard books.
I think it's him on video tape in Dell o Dell's home movies performing his card production with my old boss Ted Carrothers outside of Carlo's magic shop in the 40's.
That's all I know. I'll try to dig up more.
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
I found out some more info. on Joe. He was a boxer as well magician and he lived in a hotel on Erie st. here in Toledo. I'll keep on digging.