The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Origins of Six Card Repeat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Does anybody know who first came up with Six Card Repeat? I have not been able to track down the early history of this effect.

I also would like to know who first used the Elmsley Count for the handling. Was it Larry Jennings?

The reason I want to know is that I am currently working on an effect for the children's entertainer based on Six Card Repeat and need credits. I have found that it is one of few card effects that can engage smaller children. It really has a great potential for family comedy! Hopefully you can find it on our site soon.

I would be grateful for any information.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
415 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was originally a Tommy Tucker effect.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yes it is Tommy Tucker's. I have an exact reference for its first appearance in print in "Small But Deadly" where I have a section on the effect and variations, but don't have my copy to hand.

Paul.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi Stellan,

Larry Jennings only uses 4 cards (not six), which is based on Dan Garrett's routine.

The best performance/presentation I ever saw for the Six Card Repeat routine is by Patrick Raymond... purely outstanding!!!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1026 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I could be wrong about this, but I believe David Williamson was the first to use the Elmsley in this context. It is his handling that inspired Garretts.
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
415 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
[quote="paul"]I have an exact reference for its first appearance in print in "Small But Deadly"[/quote]

Indeed that's where I read it! Looking in that marvellous book of paul's I see that Tommy Tucker invented it in the 20's and it first appeared in print in Eastman's "Expert Manipulative Magic" in 1936.

If you want a more comprehensive history of that little trick (and indeed most packet tricks) then I can't recommend "Small but Deadly" enough...

From the same book, Alex Elmsley did a version called "Five Card Sam" in the 1950's, I'm not sure though if he was using the Elsmely Count for it.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Might want to check the Tarbell Course, I seem to remember Clark Crandall's Routine appearing there... Might be some history associated with that description.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The best version I have ever seen of this is Ted Lesley's. I have seen him do this thing live both in German and in English. The surprise ending floors both magicians and lay audiences.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Jim Steinmeyer related some of the history of the effect in his column for Magic magazine many years ago. From the tone of the article, he seemed to have some familiarity with Mr. Tucker, who, he related, was a little embarrassed by how enthusiastically his presentation had been taken up by magicians. Apparently, he really hadn't thought much of it.

Mr. Steinmeyer then offers a very clever routine that really kicks the magic up a notch.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Fernando
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Fernando
I always hated the trick with a passion and thought it was corny and wouldn't fool anybody.
A famous magic dealer who was trying to help me at the time forced me kicking and screaming to learn the trick.
He was right.
Best thing I ever did.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Tucker it is.

Using gaffed envelope cards makes it simple, but Eric Lewis' "natural count" is what I have used.

Crandall's routine is one of the best (see Tarbell).

Hard to beat Micheal Finney's PRESENTATION.

Senor Maldo (Aldo Maldanado) had a great way to count by literally throwing the cards from hand to hand in a very stylish way, wearing colorful wardrobe much like a Mariachi.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JoaoPedro
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon - Portugal
179 Posts

Profile of JoaoPedro
Just to make me clear, is that the same effect done by Juan Tamariz "Siempre 6" in which the magician counts 6 cards then takes off 3 of them and still counts 6, takes 3 more and counts 6 and so on, and so on until he counts 10? Is that the one? Thanks and sorry for the ignorance!

If that is the one I think that Tamariz has got a great routine! You know how he is. He's really funny and amusing yet one of the greatest magicians I've ever seen! His version uses the buckle.
João Pedro
GoranS
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of GoranS
I have always done the ""FIVE Cards Repeat" that I found in on of the Tarbells...
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate this possibility to get information about things from this knowledgeable forum.

If you want more information about the final outcome, the effect is now on our site. Scroll down the download section and you will find it under the somewhat strange name Black and Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. It really is a showpiece for the family entertainer, but also includes a somewhat adult version.

Thanks again for the help!
"There is no reality, only perception."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tom Tucker did it first but he used a glide count which does not present as well on stage as many of the later version.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pat Page combined the cards to pocket with the six card repeat for a KILLER routine... featured for years by Fred Kaps. It is in one of the Ganson books.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com