The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: The power of words (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
"Hocus-Pocus"---from the latin 'Hoc est Poci' ("this is my body" I think)

"Abracadabra"---'Vanish like this word' A persian wriiten spell designed to make something go away (like an ex-wife) by writing the word and rewriting it, removing one letter from each end each time.

"Alakazam"---'Flawless!' A hindu spell meant to stave off pain while performing some great act of physical endurance.

"Presto"---'quick' or 'suddenly'. Just an adjective fitting to magic, Italian in origin.

"Bibbidi-Bobbidi-BOO!"---'This way, that way, THERE!' Beleive it or not, this was not craeted for the disney movie, only used by it. It's from a Celtic spell meant to direct a thrown javelin or fired arrow unerringly to it's intended target.

"Magic"---'advice' or 'wisdom'---A persian word. Magi were the advisors to the Emperor, who were often suspected of using trickery to get the emporer to do things their way. (There's a famous story in herodotus concerning how a Magi helped Darius become emporer.)

Anyone know any others?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
530 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
"Sim Sala Bim"
This is said to be taken from a danish children song and it was Dante (who was from Denmark) who introduced this into the magic world and it was also the name of his magic show.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"Hocus Pocus" was supposedly from "hoc est corpus," which is the first part of the sacrament of Holy Communion. However, it may have gotten into our magical vocabulary from a fellow named William Vincent, who was granted a license in 1619 to perform as Hocus Pocus in the "Relme of England and Ireland." He is referenced in the works of Alexander Pope.

"Abracadabra" was probably originally "abrakhadabra" "kh" being the guttaral sound in the Scottish word "loch." It may have been a Qabbalistic spell, Hebrew in origin. Possibly a headache or cold remedy.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com