The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: "Spin Change" creator and proper name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
A lot of people know of this change from Ellusionist, but where did it actually come from? As happy as I am to make fun of Ellusionist, I don't want this thread to get into a big debate on their improper credit and renaming issues.

I'm sure that Marlo's Miracle Change (Revolutionary Card Technuiqe) and Dai Vernon's Rising Sun control must have had some influence on it's use as a color change. Does anyone know who first used it as a visual color change and what it's original name (if Spin Change isn't it's real name) is?
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Are you referring to the move Blaine popularised?
If so, this is Marc DeSouza's, and printed in DeSouza's Deceptions".
It is called the "Shapeshifter".
Cheers,
J.Warrens
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Quote:
On 2004-08-07 05:49, J.Warrens wrote:
Are you referring to the move Blaine popularised?
If so, this is Marc DeSouza's, and printed in DeSouza's Deceptions".
It is called the "Shapeshifter".
Cheers,
J.Warrens

I would would just like to give any one who reads this message one of the best tips one could ever want about Magic..Go right now and purchase "DeSouza's Deceptions" and companion book. The moves that he teaches you would be equivilent to buying many magic books to get.-honestly. Very detailed, explained to the point, its a must have! Also, who would be better to learn the "ShapeShifter" from than the original creator?
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
This move is also credited to Oscar Munoz... I beleive De Souza originally published it in New York Magic Symposium.

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Hmm I thought it was in Beam's "Trapdoor". Munoz called his 'The Pirouette'. Beam called DeSouza's 'Shapeshifter'. The difference is the shapeshifter can be done right under a spectator's nose. Munoz's move needs a table for the cleanup.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I'm not talking about Shapeshifter.

Basically the idea is you have the card, you spin it in your hand and it changes when it is turnedover. Ellusionist teaches it in their Street Magic video, they even perform it in the preview.

Shapeshifter and the miracle card change are two different technuiqes (as is Rising Sun).
mantel
View Profile
Special user
927 Posts

Profile of mantel
For some reason on Ellusionist's site the "spin change" is credited to Marlo. But I swear it's actually the "pivot change" by Ross Bertram.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 02:29, mantel wrote:
For some reason on Ellusionist's site the "spin change" is credited to Marlo. But I swear it's actually the "pivot change" by Ross Bertram.

... and you'd be right.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Fastlife
View Profile
New user
NJ / NYC
23 Posts

Profile of Fastlife
The Pivot Color Change" was published in The Gen in June, 1964 (Volume 20, Number 2)by Noel Stanton.
Sean-Dylan