The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: "Ri Ro Ri" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Back in the days when I performed as a kid, I remember a trick called "Ri Ro Ri" - at least I think that was the name of the trick. The effect was basically a ring off rope.

Do any of you remember this trick and where it is described? I remember it was easy to perform, and required no gimmicks - only a solid linking ring and a piece of rope.

Would love to find it explained in a text, relearn it, and perform it for my nephew and niece.

Many thanks in advance!
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
It was commercially sold by John Snider of Cincinnati which, many years later, became Haines House of Cards. You see them on eBay every now and then.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Thanks to runawayjag. I've got a sneaking suspicion this was also described in a book (I learned this trick in 1969 or so, so it had to have been published before then). Any ideas? Thanks!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3879 Posts

Profile of Julie
You're wrong about not requiring a "gimmick"...
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 02:20, Julie wrote:
You're wrong about not requiring a "gimmick"...

There are several extremely GOOD ring releases, some requiring a gimmick and some not, described in the Stewart James books.
While not the marketed Ri Ro Ri effect specifically, these are of that genre and will give you plenty of options.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Darn, maybe I remember it wrong, but it had something to do with a false loop, I think - that's as much as I remember of the trick.
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Is this the same "Ri Ro Ri" that was the subject of a football cheer?

Ri-Ro-Ri
Hit 'em in the knee.
Ri-Ro-Rass
Hit 'em in the other knee.

Maybe I'm confused.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
The effect of Ri-Ro-Ri could be done without a gimmick, but the set did include one, albeit a very simple one, and it did make the trick much easier and more direct. The Jon Snyder version I speak of involved pulling a rope through your assistant (or the magician himself,) and leaving a ring and rope remaining in the hands of a spectator as you do so. One of the rings used as a handle was gimmicked.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
You're all wrong!!!
It's George Jetson's dog, Astro, saying "three, four, three"!
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!