The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Phantom Tube and Square Circle Combined. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Years ago I saw a magician on TV do the square circle effect; however, after the production, he set the cabinet aside , showed the tube empty and with no cabinet in sight he continued to make another massive production. As a beginner , I had a square circle , but did not own a phantom tube at the time. Who originated each of these effects and who was the first to combine the two? Can this prop be obtained today?
Darryl the Wizard
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
The Don Redmon lightning-bolt-decorated "20th Century Square Circle" had a blue phantom tube "circle," not to mention the ability to produce a water & fish-filled goldfish bowl after the phantom tube and gimmick loads were produced.

I got mine on E-Bay, and you still see them from time to time. The original mimeographed instructions don't have a date on them, but judging from the layout and graphics I'd say they originated in the mid 1950's.

I heard someone was making a phantom-tube based square circle and selling it thru Magic Auction, but I can't verify this. The problem is (1) phantom tubes are expensive to make, and (2) the square circle gimmick has to accommodate the phantom tube and so it is more expensive to make as well.

Hope this helps.
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
There's an effect in The Sphinx around 1935 that uses the phantom tube in the square circle.It is not a productin,but the transformation of loose sand into a miniature sphinx statue that crumbles back to sand.The P-tube vanishes the sand and is lifted to show the sphinx.I lost most of my magazines in a wind storm last year,and I don't have the CD-ROM but someone should look it up.The effect is certainly different and the prop looked charming.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I still make a square circle botania loosely based on the Okito Redmond Design. Check out the website for the photo and description.

I remember the Sphinx effect. I will see if I can find the exact info on it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.