The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Lubor Fiedler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Can anybody point me toward a list of all of Lubor Fiedler tricks?
I tried a web search, but couldn't find a good list.
Any magic store specialize in his tricks?
Thanks for any help.
Ed
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Howie Schwarzman obtained the rights to many of Lubor's tricks.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Tried to search the net for a Schwarzman/Fiedler connection, and couldn't find anything that related to the rights you referred to.

I've been trying to do some homework on magic invention, as well as collecting tricks by certain inventors, like Lubor.

As for inventing, one of the recurring thoughts I have come across is "check to make sure you're not re-inventing a method already published or in use." But I have yet to find a good way to do this research. I wonder how other inventor wanna be's make sure they are not re-inventing something? Any ideas? Should I post this in another forum?

Thank you
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but have you ever considered simply calling Howie and asking him the status of this material.

Information concerning the rights to magic tricks seldom shows up on the internet. Sometimes when it does, you find conflicting information. It's like the rights to obscure songs that most people never heard of.

As far as researching whether you are reinventing the wheel is concerned, the traditional way to do the research is to read, read, read, read, read. Then read some more.

One of the reasons that old catalogs are such highly collectible items is that they contain ads for things that were invented by various people over the years.

Another method is to do a bit of looking around for someone who knows about the history of magic. Then send him an e-mail asking if he would be willing to help you research something that you are working on. If you don't know the person, be very general.

Some people have a reputation for knowing a lot about magic -- Max Maven, Brad Henderson, et. al., and they also have a reputation for being trustworthy.

A patent attorney would be of very little help, unless he also happened to be a magician and he had a lot of material on the subject that you are interested in.

Yet another way would be to join Conjuring Arts, so you can get access to their database.

If you are an inventor of magic material, it is incumbent upon you to do the research necessary to find out if your material is original. People tend to get upset when they look into a magic magazine and see something of their own creation published with someone else's name on it.

Recently, I spotted an item in a magazine that was so close to something that I had invented in 2003, which had been published with a fairly well-known mentalist's prop. I e-mailed the person who had written the article -- a budding mentalist. I explained the situation. His initial comment was something along the lines of "You can't expect me to know everything that has been published in the field."

My thought was something like "You can't expect me to take your ignorance of your field of choice as an excuse for sloppy crediting."

If you feel uncomfortable asking someone else about an idea you have, ask an uninterested third party about the "expert's" reputation for honesty and credibility. Then if you think he or she might be the right person to contact, send them a very general question. To make yourself feel more comfortable, you can ask if they will sign or agree to a non-disclosure agreement.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
There's a DVD out of his work. Not all of it of course.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain