The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Rising Pencil (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dave Pierce
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Dave Pierce
How cool is this? I don't frequently use this word but; Awesome! I recently received this with a lot of five different Roydon effects and thought that it would be the item of least interest,but I'm overwhelmed. I've been in magic for 50 years and have known about this trick and it's modus operandi for a long time but for some reason just wrote it off as lame. Was I ever wrong! I don't know about any other versions but this one from Roydon is terrific! The gimmick is all but invisible,super easy to work and incredibly magical. I know you're all probably shaking your heads and saying : "Where have you been Goober?" Please excuse my ignorance and enlighten me,if you would,as to the inventor of this trick and the pros and cons of other manufacturers versions. In my 1947 Kanter's catalog they advertise the Royal Rising Pencil but the illustration has the Petrie Lewis logo so I assume P&L made a version also.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Dave Pierce
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You should have seen Charlie Miller do this. Killed with it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave Pierce
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Dave Pierce
Pete,
Now you've got me on the edge of my seat. Please tell me what he did to make it so outstanding.
Dave
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
The Roydon rising pencil has been a staple of my close-up performances for 30+ years. I use pencils imprinted with my name, address, phone and logo and give them away telling the spectator, "You may keep the pencil with my compliments and if you can find anything, rigged, gimmicked or tricky about it, bring to my next performance and I'll give you a $100.00 bill." No one has ever claimed the $100.
Dick Christian
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Charlie just did the standard handling, but he made it a mystery. Once again, It's the man not the prop.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Charlie's handling re: method was standard...but Oh! the presentation...phenomenal!
Closeup, parlor, or stage...Charlie could make this play really big and funny!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dave Pierce
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Dave Pierce
Thanks Mr. Biro and Mr. Neal,
How I wish I could have seen Charlie Miller perform this!

Dave
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-07-09 14:27, Pete Biro wrote:
You should have seen Charlie Miller do this. Killed with it.

That comment would be so much more valuable and helpful if you also had a clip to show us here so we could learn.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I saw Charlie Miller do his Rising Pencil Routine at the Faucett Ross Magic Fest in St. Joseph, Missouri.

Best Magic convention I have ever attended in my life!

Like Pete Biro says, Charlie did this magnificently...it was all in his presentation.....boy could he ever sell this trick!

I learned a lot seeing Charlie on that day...and I'll never forget it.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 10:29pm
But....hmmmmmmm.....come to think of it....

Where can you find a rising pencil gimmick today? I have NO idea...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think that maybe Okito had something to do with the devlopment of this. There is a version with a straw doll that appeared in Okito on Magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I designed an original routine on the rising pencil that I never wrote a script for even if I designed the method and the routine: the plot is a sinking glass cube.
I bought plastic glass cubes from Joe Stevens (they sink in water). An invisible thread is stuck to the cube with superglue. Now two other ice cubes are placed in a glass next to the plastic one. The thread is hooked to the body.

Fill up the glass with whiskey and water (or anything transparent that adds credibility to the use of such ice cubes) as you move the glass away to make the plastic cube to "float" with the other ice cube.

Find a magical cause for the effect and mark the magical moment.
Slowly let the cube sink down a bit and come back up... and then down: the rising pencil routine in reverse.

If you can find a good script, by any means use the trick. For strolling magicians it is even more adapted than a pencil in a glass.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a really good idea. About 20 years ago, I got hold of some lignum vitae. It looks a lot like walnut, but it is denser than water, so it won't float. I did something similar with that. I called it "gravitation." The idea was that I would cause the wood to become slightly denser by bringing the molecules of the wood more closely together, thereby causing it to sink.

The gaff was threaded through a hole in a block of lignum vitae.

I like this glass cube idea much better.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Charlie was great at routining....we could all learn a lot from that!

Here, from memory, is Charie Miller's rising pencil routine as I saw him perform it at the Faucett Ross Magic Fest in St. Joseph, Missouri in 1983. That was the greatest magic convention I have ever attended in my life!

Charlie brings the pencil out of his pocket, and introduces it as a true magical pencil. He then does the classic "bending pencil" bit, by simply holding it in the middle and wiggling it up and down, creating an optical illusion that the pencil is now "rubbery" and bending.

Then Charlie took the pencil, tapped it on his head, and said..."Nope....solid wood....the pencil......".

Next Charlie makes the pencil appear to "glue itself to his palm"...."standard wand move"...

Then, Charlie does the standard rising pencil bit, with a line..."I'll use a tiny strand of hair from my head....as you can see...I've been doing this a long time"....(perfect for those of us who are bald". (Also works with Chinese Sticks, too!)

That's it.......but it was ENTERTAINING!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Charlie does a different presentation on the Greater Magic Video Library volume 18 video originally produced by Stevens Magic.

His presentation involves two audience members and a bit of “invisible thread”. The routine is mimed in that there is no actual thread used. He presents it as levitation where the pencil rises as it comes to rest on the “thread” being held by the two spectators. There is a point where the thread accidently breaks and has to be tied together. The pencil will then jump as it slides along the thread and hits the knot.

This presentation takes the little close-up trick and turns it into a stage/platform illusion. While not a jaw dropper it is a nice interlude.

A note on the gimmick; the P&L gimmick was amongst the best made. It had two prongs. It kept the pencil from wobbling side to side and offered a degree of control and stability that the one prong gimmick can not provide. Most of the versions seen today are of the one prong version.

Sadly mine vanished a dozen years ago (I used to perform the Miller invisible thread routine).

If you know the trick you can easily make a version using a large Kitchen Match. One prong works well with something this small and lightweight.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
I was asked by Charlie (one of my sponsors for the AMA) to make up about 100 pencils for one of his lecture tours. In exchange, I got some private lessons on several effects. Nice man.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2009-09-04 02:38, Lawrence O wrote:
I designed an original routine on the rising pencil that I never wrote a script for even if I designed the method and the routine: the plot is a sinking glass cube.
I bought plastic glass cubes from Joe Stevens (they sink in water). An invisible thread is stuck to the cube with superglue. Now two other ice cubes are placed in a glass next to the plastic one. The thread is hooked to the body.

Fill up the glass with whiskey and water (or anything transparent that adds credibility to the use of such ice cubes) as you move the glass away to make the plastic cube to "float" with the other ice cube.

Find a magical cause for the effect and mark the magical moment.
Slowly let the cube sink down a bit and come back up... and then down: the rising pencil routine in reverse.

If you can find a good script, by any means use the trick. For strolling magicians it is even more adapted than a pencil in a glass.

Sir. I have to say that your thinking is phenomenal!

Thanks again.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Tom Verner, founder of "Magician's Without Borders"(USA)performs magic shows for children in refugee camps, orphanages and hospitals around the world - often in war torn places where love, laughter and magic are desperately needed. Tom performs a beautiful version of the rising 'strawman'.

You can see it at Magicianswithoutborders.org

Check it out. A very inspiring website. Tom is one-of-a-kind.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
So......does anyone know where to get a rising pencil these days?

I have no idea but I'd buy a bunch in a heartbeat if I knew where to get them....
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Charlie did it for me when I first lectured at the Castle in 1971. It was delightful!

Everything that those above have said about Charlie's routine is 1000% correct!

I treasure the opportunity of learning from him at our (too) few meetings.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Dick:

Speaking of Charlie Miller.....I just found a copy of Genii downstairs from 1983...It's the Faucett Ross Cover.....and in it, to my delight, was an autographed by Charlie Miller caricature drawing he made of me.....signed CHARLIE MILLER X 3

The man knew how to MILK a TRICK!

When midnight on Friday night rolled around at the Faucett Ross Magic Fest, Charlie excused himself, saying to me, in a stage whisper, pointing to The Professor.........."trying to keep up with HIM wore me out!"

Ah, the good old days.......