The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Magazine tricks that went on to become classics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I just spent this evening going through a pile of vintage magic magazines bought as a job lot and amongst the trick suggestions presented I was surprised to find a few examples of idea outlines detailing early versions of some of what are now the most familiar (in some cases to the point of being overplayed) set pieces in magic. Ironically, these generally are described following a bunch of prose about how no-one ever bothers to build magazine tricks.

My favourite example is to be found in the Aug-Sept 1942 edition of the Davenport company's "Demon Telegraph", who at the time were publishing a series of "twelve initialled secrets" by none other than Robert Harbin, who was enlisted in wartime military service and in no position to realise his illusion visions, leaving publication as the only possible outlet for his ideas (many inventors at the time were in a similar position, making magazines of that era rather rich pickings). The idea was that he would present an idea for a trick beginning with the letters of his name, so on this occasion he has reached the letter E, which stands for "escape".
The escape in question proves to be a detailed illustration and and description of what went on to become The Assistant's Revenge.

The article ends with a sentence that, coming from the man who went on to become not only one of the greatest inventors in magic but also one the most ripped off, seems rather prescient;

Quote:
This is easy to make, and for a trick of it's size the cost is almost nil... so please make it and think of me... sometimes.

Does anybody have any other gems of this sort in their collections?
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Know what? I don't know, but I'll check. This is a cool topic. I love old magic periodicals/books.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Helen,
You should check out Hideo Kato's thread, "Today's Finding,", located in the Secret Sessions section. This has become a daily habit for me.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
I truly believe you can start a new magic company with the ideas found in these old magazines...........I hoard these things but the ideas they present are inspirational.Unfortunately some of the newbies want the stuff they see on television that cant be done in an everyday situation.....
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2008-01-27 19:23, Rick Fisher wrote:
I truly believe you can start a new magic company with the ideas found in these old magazines...........

LOL!! Some already have.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some conveniently ignore the notice at the end of most of these tricks that say "All manufacturing rights reserved by the author." Others actually pay for them.

Incidentally, there are a number of inventors who have caused havoc in the magic manufacturing business. One of them was Joe Karson, who invented the Zombie. He licensed the Zombie to at least two different manufacturers. This caused some problems.

James Swoger did the same thing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Explanation please?

Which effect did swoger license and how do you know this?