The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Rabbit From A Hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Does anyone know who was the first Magician to produce a rabbit from a hat?

Please don't let's get bogged down in talking about Mary Toft. I'm wondering when the rabbit-from-a-hat first appeared as a magic effect.

Thanks!

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
1836 The Humorous Magician Unmasked by Engstrom. About $8,000 to $10,000 a pop when they turn up.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Rory,

According to Whaley's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic, it was French magician Louis Comte in 1813. It did not become common place until the 1840's.

Regards, Mark Damon
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That was an easy question, and Mark Damon really knows his way around Whaley's, but the one that has me puzzled is who the heck is "Mary Toft?"
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I thought the question when first appeared as a effect. I took that as being a quasi bibliophile, in print. Then the answer would be 1836.

Maybe I should stick to the Houdini stuff that I'm better at. Smile

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Never mind informing me about Mary Toft. I did a Café search and discovered the hilarious connection on my own!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Thanks for the references, guys.

I'm looking into the connection (if any) between Toft and the magic effect. She is often cited in refernce to it. Perhaps she was referred to in the patter of the original performance?

R
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I thought you were the one who didn't want to " get bogged down in talking about Mary Toft"? Hmmm
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There was a newspaper story then gossip then parody.

;)

Sheep gives birth to human baby. Lambchop pleads no-contest. Film at 11.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Then there are the numerous "woman gives birth to Bigfoot's love child" stories. If true, he owes a LOT of back child support. As it is, he's a deadbeat dad! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Dude, I know Bigfoot and he's a really nice guy. He's totally gonna do right by her as soon as he gets a job! It's not easy, okay? Give a guy a break.

R
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Since the carnival sideshows with the weird anomolies are gone, I suppose he could get a job demonstrating some sort of industrial strength hair cream remover! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I found the following reference in Milbourne Christopher's 'The Illustrated History of Magic' describing John Henry Anderson's 1840 performance at the New Strand Theatre in London. For those who don't know, John Henry Anderson was known as "The Great Wizard of the North".

"Rabbits appeared from a spectator's topper. The rabbit-from-hat feat was still new, it had first appeared in the programs of magician's in the late 1830's. (The originator of the feat is unknown; previously, birds were favored.)"

Anyone else have a reference on this effect's origin?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Milbourne Christopher's Illustrated History of Magic can only give a broad overview of anything that actually happened. It is chock full of errors and misrepresentations.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com