The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Question on old coin slight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I learned an old coin slight years ago out of a borrowed book. The slight is to take a coin and thow it into the palm of the other hand. The recieving hand gives a slight upward movement just as the coin is hitting the hand. This bounces the coin back into the hand that was throwing it. The hand "catching" closes over the coin as quick as possible when the coin hits.

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I'm trying to learn where this came from.

Thanks

Craig
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Hoffman describes this in "More Magic" I believe, where you are casually told to catch the coin directly into classic palm! I don't think the old line "Practice, Practice, Practice" really fits here. I've known several people who enjoyed nothing more than practice, and I've never met anyone who could do this.

Catching the coin in a more sensible fashion, however, is quite possible. Ross Bertram had some really interesting work on this. It's in "Magic and Methods" I believe.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7049 Posts

Profile of magicfish
This is also explained in Gary Ouellette's book, Close up Illusions. It is also shown on the companion tape. It's not a bad little move.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Thanks Curtis! A agree with you about the classic palm from this move. I've been using this for a lot of years and I don't think you could do this consistently. You may get lucky every once and a while, but that would be it.

I'll check the Ross Bertram work.

Craig