The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Boa snake (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I have boa snake about 7 feet long and 3,4kg. I want include that snake in my show.
Can anybody can give me ideas please? Some pal told me use the snake for the final loading in the Fountain Silks.

Bye
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Here's a short topic about snakes from this forum. Snakebabe is our resident expert in this area. If she doesn't respond here, you might want to PM her.

snakes
Where the magic begins
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Ssucahyo:
Food for thought.

In a show like the kind that “Snakebabe” does, people expect to see snakes.

However, if you are doing a small venue show where they have no expectation of seeing snakes, be careful.

I used my pet Ball Python (about 5 feet) in a birthday show in a church with disastrous results. Screaming, running, and crying.

I was about 19, it added a year to my life.

Unlike Doves and Rabbits, some people are really tramitized by snakes.

Bob
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
Me? An expert? Awwww, thanks Dave.
I think most of my thoughts were already covered in the link Dave posted but an additional thing to share is that when snakes appear they do not have the “Wow” effect as when birds appear flapping their wings. So when popping out of your silk fountain it may not have the appeal you are looking for. I have done that trick and it went over fine for kids parties but not much success with grown ups. I would be very interested in your outcome if you do perform it and care to share
Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I know Chezaday uses snakes in his show, he may be worth asking too...
DANSPERRY.COM
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Franz Harary used to pull a python from the bottom of the Sword Basket, at the end of the routine.

I wouldn't recommend using a snake at close quarters to the audience. The adult daughter of one of the members of the local magic club reacted badly to a cloth snake used in a snake basket. If someone has a fear of snakes, they need some distance from the snake.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Figures my name would come up here. What's up punk! Snakes can be used in many live stock props, but not all. The most effective is a blammo type effect, like dove to snake, that kind of thing. The surprise element of a snake is really strong; sometimes too strong. Be aware some people are really freaked out by them and will run, sometimes off the stage. Also you have to consider traveling with a reptile can be tricky as they require warth to stay healthy. We don't travel with the snakes in the winter anymore. The Chicago area is a bit cold right about now. I think there are some pics on my site with the snakes in my show. Of course a shameless plug for my site. I can't help myself!

Steve
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hi,

Thanks everybody for the reply.
Yes, the idea using blamo box is cool. I try to use it. Steve as in my country is always warm in every month, we do need to worry about it. Thanks for the advice. I will see your site.
Posted: Jan 29, 2005 11:53am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Steve, I visited your site, but cannot find your picture with snake? In which part?
Magic Blinds
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Magic Blinds
Having worked with snakes for many years and I own a few. Talk to George from Chalets the blammo box has to be enclosed in the back or else the snake will escape. Ask him to build some shelve on the back wall so when the walls drop the snake will appear in the middle of the prop since snakes in blammo boxes tend to curl up.

If you don't follow my advice the snake will curl up and when you lift the top to drop the blammo walls the snake will fall to the ground.

If a snake illusion is presented correctly it does have a "WOW" effect on the audience especially if the prop has some pyro in it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I remember a show in the mid-west with Bill Wishe, Dan Flashman and the great Vaselinini 1981-82(?). The Great Vaselini produced a large boa from a huge MAK roll on square circle. The only problem was that the casters could not handled the weight. It told on him! We all have those days.

I remember Zardin handing me a lighter at Caesars one night after my show and told me to use it on my BC newspaper tear apart vanish. He promised to buy the drinks until it was ashes! I do know that I don't have it anymore. It must have vanished!

Good luck! Snakes are dead weight and much like producing a large water balloon. You may want to change your act.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
Hey Chez!
How do you like that new snake-cage heater?

Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I forgot who it was but on one of the Made for TV Magic Shows there was a magician who did a dove act and after the Vanishing Bird Cage he walk up to the front of the stage and produced a large snake (BOA, I believe). The effect stunned everybody, and totally changed the mood. I feel like the production totally took away from the rest of the routine.

I love Dove Acts, so maybe I am jaded in my opinion!

In the right context and character I don't see why snakes can't be used, just keep in mind all of the above posts remarks and plan accordingly.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
I've seen a guy put a snake in a wrist chopper.