The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: The Jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
AceOfCards
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Ca
10 Posts

Profile of AceOfCards
I was wondering what to do to keep my jacket from opening during my act?

I know Tony Clark says a coat hook and Victor says an elastic band but I haven’t used either. What I have been using is kinda like what Victor says, elastic, it is a womens black hair thing. (I don’t know what to call it.)

It works but occasionally comes off. I was wondering if you had any ideas or if I should just go get a coat hook?

I also started this topic so if any of you had any questions about the jacket you could post them also. Thanks.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
First let me welcome you to the CAFE !!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Second, those things called buttons work wonders on keeping my jackets closed. Smile Smile

I have tried using elastic and haven’t had a problem, however at this point in time, I for the most part don’t wear a jacket.

Anyway, please feel free to tell us a little more about yourself in the new arrivals section! Smile

This is your life and its ending one minute at a time - Fight Club
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
AceOfCards
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Ca
10 Posts

Profile of AceOfCards
I am talking about tail jackets and doing dove manipulation. On tail jackets there are no slots for the button to go into.
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
In my dove routine, I wear a white "dove-tail" tuxedo.....and why, may I ask, would you want your jacket to stay closed?

There are many different "steals" to use.....front, hip and tail pocket. With a closed jacket, you are robbing yourself of some very beautiful steals, as well as vanishes.

Leave your jacket open, as well as your mind.....and think of the many opportunities waiting for you inside that jacket!!!

Bengi Smile
AceOfCards
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Ca
10 Posts

Profile of AceOfCards
I like to move around alot when I am performing, and sometime’s my jacket swing’s open and someone might catch a glimpse of clips and holders or even the pockets that I have in my jacket, that is why I want to keep my jacket closed. I do tail vanish and hip steal but that has nothing to do with my jacket being closed or open. Anymore comments or suggestions would help though.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
You could get a short length of chain (jewelry quality) and attach a nice button to both ends. Make a buttonhole on each side of your coat, and button the ends of the chain in them. You can get all the supplies you'd need in most craft stores.

Smile Mary B.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I like Mary's idea here. It would be a nice look in addition to its practical use.

I might use a single piece of thread actually looped once through both sides with a needle. That way, in the middle of your act (say when you've already produced several things and there's nothing to see anymore), you could break the thread and move on to other steals and vanishes that would be good with the jacket open. Best of both worlds as it were.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
AceOfCards
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Ca
10 Posts

Profile of AceOfCards
Thanks Mary and Sable. I think I am going to use your idea Mary. A friend of mine who is a close friend to the Hamners let me see his Jacket and his had the chain. I am actually in the process of getting a new jacket. Thanks for all your help.
Jason Purdy
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Jason Purdy
An old topic I see, but you never know?

Why not try a coat hook AND elastic band? Or snaps sewn onto the elastic and the "mated" snap on the inside of your coat? This way your coat will still flex and you could un-hook and/or un-snap as needed.

Elastic comes in many colors and sizes... as do hooks and snaps.

Some people snap the bottom front of the coat to their pants to keep it in place. Again, you could try this with a piece of elastic for added flexibility.