The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: My Dog. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have one of the smartest dogs I have ever had or seen. He is a Blue Heeler and is extremely intelligent. His training has been easy.

I have been working on a comedy routine with him, but I would love some suggestions about effects in which I can use him.

He loves attention.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
I've forgotten the name of the act for certain , but I believe it was something like the Madsen Brothers and the Amazing Andre'...at any rate, Andre' was a middle-size dog that was the focal point of the Magic routine. I specifically remember mouth coils being produced from Andre's mouth. Smile
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
You can force a card and have him sniff it out from underneath one of many dishes. Using the reward method of a treat, this is an easy thing to train a canine to do.

The same dish is always used in training and performance.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
ReyRey,

Do your remember my dog that could read? He saw the sign that said "Wet Paint", and he did!

Actually, dogs make very good business partners, even in show business.

Astinus,

Train him to put something (a prop, even a towel) away every time you are not looking. That way, every time you put the prop (rope, towel, ball, wand, whatever) down to get something else (scissors, silk, etc.) and turn your back, the dog removes it and you have to start over. It is even better if he will replace it with his bowl! The mutt will steal your act!

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Does your dog have feathers? LOL
You can say you have made him paranoid, by calling him stay.
'FETCH, STAY'!
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
We use several dogs in our act; Samoyeds, Miniature American Eskimos and a Border Collie. You can do a production, vanish, or why not a version of Chattering Teeth?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bob, I love that idea. Makes me want another dog. I wonder if I could train my rabbit to do that. LOL

Regan
Mister Mystery
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Wonderful thread. I think I will have to work with our dog, Princess. She's a mix between Pug and Shih Tzu. She's always cute, and smart as a whip. I need to have her somewhere when I travel, so she might as well earn her keep.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Pirate,

I have 2 pugs. I can't imagine what a pug and Shih Tzu would look like mixed! lol That would be hilarious in your act.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
VoidedHider
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of VoidedHider
Great question. I would also love to perform with my dog, Skip. Again, I agree with the infamous Bob Sanders on this one.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Train him to drag out his bed and get in it during your act.

He needs the sleep! LOL

Audiences will love it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I worked with Godzilla and Shamu, both tiny white Maltese dogs, for years. They stole the show! Now, I have Yeti and Sasquatch. Both Maltese, one a shelter rescue, and both currently in magic training. They are identical, a little different in size, but one is black [rare] and one is white. There is a LOT of potential with these little ladies!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
The Great Andre was a standard size poodle.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2010-01-12 22:04, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
I worked with Godzilla and Shamu, both tiny white Maltese dogs, for years. They stole the show! Now, I have Yeti and Sasquatch. Both Maltese, one a shelter rescue, and both currently in magic training. They are identical, a little different in size, but one is black [rare] and one is white. There is a LOT of potential with these little ladies!

If you had a red and yellow one, as well as the black and white, you could do the hippity hop Maltese.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
weezels
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of weezels
I'm curious about the Chattering Teeth effect -- what is that? I do some magic with my dogs and, so far, it is mostly appearing and disappearing. I got a chair suspension, and I'm going to try to work that so a dog can be sitting on top of my daughter while I suspend her.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Weezels,

Click here to see a version of the Chattering Teeth effect. Just replace the teeth with your dog and the box with something larger, maybe his/her travel carrier, and you'd have a great routine. Training your dog to bring the chewed paper out of the box to you after the paper flies would be a great addition, too.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
GRMAGIC
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of GRMAGIC
We also use many dogs in our show; chow chow, standard poodle, toy poodle, Boston terrier, and a Great Dane. With a little work, all the dogs get to love performing whatever illusion you choose. Suggestions: doves to dog, a blammo box dog appearance and almost any other animal production can work well with dogs.
weezels
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of weezels
Michael:

That sounds fun! I will look into it. Currently, I'm not doing any card tricks in my routines, but I think I could work this in. So far, I've been doing everything to music with no audience interaction because I started with competitive canine freestyle (choreographed dog/handler performances to music) and decided to add in some magic tricks. But now, I've got the opportunity to do some stage performances so I can do things outside the scope of the freestyle routines.

Here are some pictures from our first stage performance: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20......0acc468e
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Australian sheppards, collies, labs are the best for understanding and pleasing their owner! but with enough training any dog can work and do wonders!