The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Producing Appearing Cages (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
So far I have 5 appearing cages. One Owens, two harakhan, and two from india. The first three are for doves and the last two are for budgies.
I rarely use these and I need some ideas as to how to produce them. It can be through body load, table steal or through a lady assistant. Which one is best and what is the best method to do so.
Many thanks in advance. Smile
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The problem I encounter is haveing the cages stay closed until production. If you ever come up with a method that works, let me know.

If you wear tails, the tail dove producton method will work.

This type of production is all dependent on your style of performing. Have you seen Joseph Gabriel act on carson show and Live show. He used the assistant method but it tied into his performance.

Another solo magician used a front load table method.

It is very hard to come up with a slight of hand method without a lot of brainstorming with others.

If all else fails you can always use the square circle method, producing from a prop.

Bill Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I do a large silk production and hand them to my wife as they're produced. She just adds the cage to the bundle part way through the production and hands them back to me for the production. As for keeping it closed, I've done two methods. One, she just holds it closed until she hands it to me. The other is to put a cloth strip with velcro ends around the neck. I remove it just before the production.
The magician that Bill mentioned using the front table method was Jason Byrne. I like that method but it doesn't suit my act.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dave, Thanks, I can never remember names.

The problem with the medium ones I have is if I wrap the top the bottom spring out, and if I wrap the bottom the top pops out.

I cannot win with this thing. Every once in a while I get back to work on them, but have never come up with a good solution.

Bill Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I have seen one other method but I can't remember where it was. The cage was closed and put in a thin cloth tube like bag, open at both ends. The production was made from a group of silks and the the "tube" was pulled off from the bottom with the silks. The cage and silks were held at the top, when the production was ready, the cage was held by one hand, bottom of the silks with the other and just pulled down off the cage with the tube.
Bill, that would solve your problem I think if it fit the type of act you do.
Where the magic begins
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Bill, I solved the problem of having the cage closed before it is needed by simply placing a rubber band a few inches around the bottom of the folded cage. You can double or triple the bands depending on the tension needed. The more rounds you make with the band, the more force you will need to twist it open.

Dave, I am thinking of producing them via the assistant method. That would be more clean. I have too much on my body loads already.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I hate to suggest people buy things, but have you seen the "hip load" as discribed in Mr. Electric tape from Stevens Magic. If you use an assitant. This is a fast easy way to involve your assistant.

On a television special even James Demmare (I know that is not spelled correctly) used the hip load.

Hope this helps,
Bill Smile
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Hi Bill, can you PM me on a short description of this "hip load" you mentioned. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just thought of another method, Tony Clark's steal for his Jumbo Card Fan Production may work, it just uses 2 silks.

It is on his tape that is sold separately. I seen the tape separately for as low as $10 on the net. You don't have to by the cards with the tape.

It is a table steal I am thinking of that I saw on the tape.

Bill Smile
ARNO
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
4 Posts

Profile of ARNO
The hip load was created by Alan Wakeling for Mr Electric (Marvin Roy). (see the book "Magic of Wakeling").
Used by a lot of performers : Johnny Hart, Roy, Thompsoni to name a few.

ARNO
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As I said, I get the cage from my wife. She just walks onto the stage with it held at her side, then loads it up with the silks I've produced. We used to do the act with her in full evening gown and then changed to her wearing a jacket and pants. It didn't matter, the cage is still well hidden at her side. No hip clip is needed.
Where the magic begins