The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Just got my first pair of doves!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
I drove a bit to go get these little guys, they are well behave and don't fly away when I hold them! I let them rest for 3 hours before tossing them so they would get some exercise and not be bored. I hate it when they hit the walls or the lights with their heads! Is this normal?

Also whats my next step? Let them get use to me? etc?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It sounds like you may be rushing the toss move. You need to get them used to just jumping from hand to hand at short distances first, then about 3 feet. Next try tossing them in a arc from hand to hand.
Once they're used to that, they shouldn't just fly off into a wall.

They occassionally will fly into something but once trained, that shouldn't happen. If you practice in the same room all the time and have the ability, you may want to hang a sheet or some type of curtain up on the wall they fly into. Put some pillows on the floor so when they hit the curtain, they just slide down onto the pillow.
This method is extreme and I personally have only used it a few times but it does protect the bird until they get the idea.
It all comes down to training.
Where the magic begins
Traylen
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Traylen
There are some good books/videos on how to train doves. Althought Dave's advice pretty much got the jist of it, you might want to look into getting some dove material.

Tony Clark Unmasks #1, has the way he trains his doves, what he feeds them, a few body load moves, how to load doves, how to take care of them, etc. There are 2 other videos of his as well.

Also the Marian Chavez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic has not only a bunch of effects but how to train the doves as well. A great book, if you ever plan on doing body loads heck or even any dove magic (which I can tell you're already doing) pick this book up! Smile

There are some other good dove videos as well: Doves 101, Beginers Guide to Dove Magic, Art of Dove Magic, and Shimada's Dove video (don't know name)

Most of those are begginers stuff except shimada's. But I thought I'd mention it anyways Smile

I just thought I name some good material to look into. Although it may be cheaper to just listen to Dave Smile . No need buying it all. Or any of it... I guess Smile ... Good luck with your doves! Smile
What the eye sees, the ear hears, the mind believes.
-Harry Houdini
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There are natural things to expect from a dove.

1. Doves are going to fly toward the light. (Ask a TV magician. David Ginn and I will tell you that studio lights create problems with the best-trained doves.)

2. They are going to look for the "safe" place. And

3. They will go up flying instead of down, if they are escaping. (Otherwise, assume they are ready to be caught. They have surrendered. I prefer they step onto a stick. It fits my other training program.)

For training purposes with a brand new dove, this is one of the reasons I recommend working in the bathroom. First there are often no windows. The lights are usually covered to not burn the bird. Everything is easy to clean. (I'm sure you'll never have that problem. Right?)

But most of all, in the bathroom you can reach anywhere with a yardstick. You can keep a bird flying until he either lands on the floor (that is acceptable) or lands on you (that is desirable). You become the "safe" place. If a prop is to always be the "safe" place perch, have it there and let them land there. When they do what you want, quit bothering them. Let them stay. (Old married men really understand this.) Doves must learn faster than old married men.

Once you are accepted as a "safe" place, handing is very easy. Remember that doves only step up. You will have to always put the bird below where you want him to step.

Good Luck! Visit Often!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, I guess your doves will be dead before you ever get to use them. Please stop throwing them against the Wall!!!

Here is something you should be aware of:

Dove give off a very fine dust. This can get into your lungs and kill you. I had several Hospital trips before I found this out. So do not keep the doves in the same room as you are living. At the least this will give you ashma.

X Dove worker,
Bill Smile
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
You know, I've seen this in other posts, but I have yet to experience that. I've had mine living in my room with me (7 of them).. for almost a year now.. and except for the occasional sneezer or two, I don't have a problem. Are you talking in the long run?.. Anyone that has doves can notice the powder that they give off though, and I see it every time I clean the cage. Reminds me of ivory colored baby powder. Thanks now I'm sneezing! Smile
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
My wife and I have slept with multiple doves in our bedroom since 1973. We have naturally bought from different stock and moved to different locations. In our Motorbus we have mounted a dovecage at the foot of our bed on the wall.

The powder that you speak of....Doves flock off what is referred to as "dander".

So far we are still alive (I think).
We always drape over our cages with cloths at night leaving it patially uncovered on one side. This prevents night drafts as we sleep with the windows open and delays the morning cooing a bit longer as the light begins to enter the room.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, I was like you guys, until it happened on day. I could not breathe. Rushed to the hospital. The only thing they can do is treat with oxygen and like asthma.

My birds lived for 22 years. There is no sign except a little light wheezing at when I laid down. It came and went. Of course if you wash your bird daily, this will cut this down considerably. It is when I started to have them very close to me in the living room in their cage that the attach happened.

I just think it is worth knowing for anyone new to dove magic.

My dove would not shut up, cover or no cover. I loved them but they can get on your nerves at times.

Bill Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don't worry Bill, I have never ever had a dove hurt by flying into the wall. (But look what it did to me!) And I don't get along well with people who do hurt animals. But thankfully, what you do bring to mind about training flying doves is another reason for using the bathroom as the training area. And that is that, momentum is mass times velocity. Doves simply can't get up much speed in a small bathroom. It is just another safety factor like “no cats”.

I was sorry to hear about your problem with breathing and using doves. Not getting to continue using them is a loss. Hopefully histoplasmosis is not a problem for you or where you live. It is a disease that humans get from birds. It is treatable but it still leaves damage.

My wife is a physician and stage magician. She uses doves and geese. Allergies to birds are very common. In many cases it is also treatable and you can even get injections formulated by an allergists specifically for you. However, it is expensive and sometimes not very effective. Under no circumstances should living with the birds in the house continue. Birds in large walk-in outdoor cages may also be a problem.

Lucy suggested ducks and geese because waterfowl have oily feathers. It may be a way around your problem. They are not indoor birds. Remember that goose down is frequently used in clothing and bedding. There may be a reason. (Lucy said tell you, “Hug a goose.”) There are some beautiful small ducks available on the market.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I understand that the dander can be a problem for allergies, but a major concern is the poop.

Dove feces can develop a nasty fungus within 24 hours so Keep That Cage Clean daily! Disinfect every week.

Dirty water bowls is one of the leading causes of bird death, says Mark Monroe, it should be washed daily.

Also remember that doves are soft bills and need grit to digest food. And a cuttle bone doesn't hurt. I put grit on sand paper on a separate shelf off the cage floor so it tends to keep their claws from getting sharp.

And another thing, throw away your Teflon pans, it is a polymer and will kill birds quick if overheated. Don't smoke. Birds are very sensitive to air quality that is why miners used them to monitor for CO/CO2.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I know this is not exactly the question but except for the training material offered above I would also buy General Grant's How to make a living by stealing....doves off course! It is very good material and if you are only starting out with them worth having. I have to say though that you will have to look far to find something as easy to understand or as valuable as Tony Clarke's material.
Cheers