The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Keeping doves in my room (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Will my dove be loud and make noise all night? I want to keep my 1 dove in my room with me.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Why not? The real problem you will have is that the dove will be up and at them everytime the light is on. Birds are active during light hours and asleep when it's dark. Your bird will be healthier if you will keep the hours somewhat standard. Doves are really outdoor birds. Neat is not one of their strong characteristics. They love to scatter their feed and splash in the water. If you can live with that, I'm sure you will have a real buddy. Why just one?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Right now I just want 1 dove and wil add more and more as I gain experience with them. I think it would be more fun to train and play with 1 dove for a few months
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes, I say enjoy your dove in the room. Covering the cage at night will help keep down the noise.

Tom Boleware
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
And if it gets noisy buy a rist-rocket.

I'M KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!! Seriosly I am. But yeah why not get two doves? I just have always tried to have an even number of birds and with two doves you can have one to produce and vanish like some sort of prop and after it vanish have it appear somewhere else(the second dove obviously). -Just a thought.

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
I have a 1 bedroom apt with my girlfriend and she loves the idea of me getting into dove magic, she just wants to know if they will make noise and such. I know I can leave it out in the living room... but this will be my first pet ever, the little fellow has to crash in our room
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
I have had a dove for about a year now and I love him. He makes a great pet and an excellent magic partner. However, he wakes up early and he makes sure everyone else is awake also.

Seriously, doves like to coo and it is a high pitched sound that you have to get used to. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a dove, I'm just giving you the facts.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
In one cage I have a pair of Doves, one each male, and female. The female doesn't preform(to picky), but does cause the male to give her too much attention. My question is this- is it any problem to have multiple males in a cage? My books don't advise for or against, and I haven't wanted to risk the chance.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
I had not thought about having males in together as problem now you mention it they might fight I suppose but I don't know if doves kill each other so they might just have the odd scuffle. I am/was planning on having three males in together I might do some research to find the answer I will let you know Mr Muggle when I find out.

Regards,

Luke L Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves become very territorial and especially with the male gender. If all the birds are young and placed in a cage at the same time, you might be fine but there is always the chance of one of them becoming the dominant figure. They will fight pecking at each other on the head. If it gets severe, you'll see the feather loss and possibly some bleeding. SEPARATE!!. You also have to be careful as they will try to peck at the eyes of the other birds. Again, SEPARATE!!.
With all that said, I have a large cage with 5 males in it and almost never have a problem. Maybe it's because the cage is large enough to give them their own space. The smaller the cage, the more you are asking for trouble.
Where the magic begins
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
The cage I have in mind is 2'deep x3'wide x4'tall, and has the pair in it. What do you think Dave? I notice that my male picks on the female in that cage. I'd like to put in 2 other males but have yet to try it. The cage is as large as I can have right now, and the birds do get allot of excerise. (sp?)

One thing never mentioned in the dove tapes and books that I have is the territorial aspect of doves. What about in the same cage when traveling? Is this different because its a neutral territory? (such as dog's act at a dog park?) Or will I have to travel with multiple cages?

Thanks for the help and experience.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Adding two new males to an existing male might be asking for trouble even though the Café is large. I've always used the trial and error method and kept a spare cage around just in case. Strange thing about travelling, at least from my experience is that there never seems to be any trouble. As long as there isn't a mated female in there with them I carry them all in one cage. I don't have the problem on stage either after my productions. I put them all together in one cage until after the show.
Where the magic begins
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Interesting, I have to guess that because its neutral territory & no one dove claims it their home, they don't fight. Thanks for the insight. I'll take heed and see how they interact together in the same cage. Perhaps I will separate all of them for a while before putting them together.

Another question, this time about coat care for ring neck doves. It's weird, but my females seem to have a problem with their coats. They aren't always pure white like my males even though they were purchased together, or came from the same parent. Is it just the blood line of a turtle dove (variations in color)? I follow the info that I learnt from the Tony Clark video's about minerals and such for their coats. But after many month's the coats are never consistent- while my males are always perfect white.

Again, thanks for the help.

MM
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
I bought 2 males and they share a cage, they don't fight or make any noise!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That's what should happen. Two males introduced to a new cage at the same time shouldn't produce a problem. If you introduce a female however, be prepared.
Where the magic begins