The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: My dove laid an egg. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
Hello,
I own a pair of breeding doves. I have had them for about a year and a half now. Until yesterday the female didn't lay eggs...But she did. I think she is laying another one too. But I am not totally ready to add another dove into my "collection". What should I do so that the egg doesn't hatch? Any help would be appreciated.
Cole Smile
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Take it out! place it in the toilet
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
How about not owning a pair of breeding doves?.. heh.

I think by letting it hatch and selling.. or giving.. it to a pet store would be a better solution... theres no need in my opinion to toss out another birds life (or would be life) because of room situation. If it came down to it, I would take the bird from you if you couldn't find a home for it.

Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
MagicMax7
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
33 Posts

Profile of MagicMax7
Hey Cole,
You definately want to take the egg out so she can't sit on it. You don't want her getting into the habit of laying eggs. First, I would make sure you really have a breeding pair. All of my doves are female and every once in a while I am surprised with a "gift." Sometimes birds lay eggs that are infertile. If you're sure you have a pair you might want to consider housing them seperately or trading for a like-sexed bird. The last thing I'll say is that you'll want to make sure that your bird gets a little extra calcium in her diet as laying eggs is quite taxing on a bird's body. I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Jason
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Cole, breeders or not, a female will lay an egg. Two females together can also produce eggs. Typically they have two at a time spaced a day or so apart. If you really don't want the babies, then by all means remove and destroy the egg when it is layed. If you don't, the parents will be sitting on it for about 21 days and will then be nurturing it for another 6 weeks.
Hey, Justin, when are you opening up the Justin David wildlife ranch? LOL. If we all send you the birds we don't want, you'll soon become the king of doves.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL hahaha.. what a routine that would be.

I just feel horrible watching a potential baby get tossed (dont mind me, I've seen mine hatch and now I'm a baby addict.) But like I said, anyone on here that has birds that they don't want or need to get rid of asap, I will surely take them. I know two great pet stores that are wanting them and I could use a few also. I know how fast they can breed and before you know it you have a million.

Just call me the king of doves Smile

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
You can't just abort the baby doves!!! They're living creatures! lol, just kidding. I've thrown away several eggs, only because I have never had success with them being fertilized anyway.

Dave Smile
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Eat it.

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL Dan your a sick dude.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Seriously though, I'm really good friends with this dude who's like old school Neil Foster type dove magic and stuff, like classic Chavez jazz, he used to eat his dove's eggs he told me once.

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
My doves lay eggs all the time.

The male doesn't know what to do (and I'm not going to teach him!) so the eggs are unfertilized. If that is the case with yours I agree with many who post here, Flush it. Otherwise you will put the female into the care cycle. I have had problems where females lay too many and that can deplete them of calcium so supplements are in order. Smile
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Laying eggs is a natural occurance. I have 18 birds right now and it is not unusual for me to destroy a dozen or so eggs every month or so.
Where the magic begins
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Years ago when I only had a couple of doves I also felt guilty about throwing away an egg. Now I never think twice about tossing them out. No harm done. I now have 20-to 25 doves and it’s not unusually to throw away five or six at a time. Better to do that than have them get broken or not hatch due to weather conditions etc.

Tom Boleware
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Cole:
I had doves 25+ years ago when most magicians did not know much about caring for them. I know how you feel about taking the life of a to-be bird. I could not deal with it back then.

I have dealt with Dave Scribner on the forum and read his posts. He is a gentle man, if he let the eggs go, he must be right. I do know it takes a lot out of them to sit on a non-fertile clutch of eggs.
Bob