The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Holland Lop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rickyhmltn
View Profile
New user
USA
66 Posts

Profile of rickyhmltn
Hi guys, I'll be using the bunny box to produce a rabbit. Unfortunatly the closest place I can find these is 3 hours away and they have Holland Lops. The lady said they would not get over 5 lbs. I don't really want to drive 6 hours and come home with nothing. Anyone have any experience with these type of rabbits and this box?
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Ricky,

Google "rabbit breeders" for your city, county, or state. You should be able to come up with someone closer to you for a source of rabbits.

You may also want to consider looking at one of the "dwarf" breeds. Five pounds would be too large for some of the rabbit production props out there. A "dwarf" rabbit (Hotot, Netherland etc...) will weigh half or less.

On the other hand, if your production box will hold the bigger rabbit, it does look great when it appears.

Your call and best of luck!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I used a Holland Lop for years. He was a great rabbit and did not get real big. 5 lbs. is about right. Also had a Dutch Rabbit and he got overweight. I now have a Himalayan Rabbit. He is the most mellow rabbit I've ever had. They have cool markings. Black ears, tail feet and nose and the rest is white. They are kind of long and lanky. I've ordered rabbits from the pet shop and they were so craxy and wild I had to give them away. All the rabbit I've owned have a ongoing buffett of food and Hay.

Go to you County Fair and check out the 4-H section. All their rabbit breeders know each other.

Rabbit is a good selling poing when you tell your customer about your magic program.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
I currently have two Min-Rex, and a 22lbs Flemish Giant named "Tiny"

Look for a breeder that handles the kits daily, pet stop rabbits do not get the right kind of attention that a breeder will give them.

Good Luck
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have no experience with Holland Lops but I have heard positive things about them, and they are beautiful. I agree that 5 pounds is a large bunny...too large for many standard-size bunny boxes. Most Dwarf breeds should stay at around 3 pounds or less.
Mister Mystery