The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove catching... WHO did it first? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rip
View Profile
New user
Ireland
57 Posts

Profile of Rip
I have trawled the forums & think this may be the place to post this question... I HOPE!

Does anybody have any idea who first performed/invented the 'Dove Catching' also known as 'Dove Air' in England.

I am referring to the effect where the magician 'catches' 2 doves in a long-handled 'butterfly'-type net.

Any references that you could provide me with will be appreciated (historical interest only).
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I could be wrong, but my vague recollection is that Servais LeRoy invented the trick. If so, then he would likely have been the first magician to perform it.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I somehow seem to recall Maurice Raymond. I will have to check in my books tomorrow and see. LeRoy would have certainly been in the same era as Raymond.

Richardf
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My Source indicates "Cyril Yettmah and The Great LaFayette" as the inventors.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Cyril Yettmah worked out the mechanics of it, but envisioned it for catching canaries. Lafayette wanted to increase the size to work on the stage with eagles, but the eagles probably objected, so they ended up using doves when the trick premiered in 1909. Raymond claimed to have invented it and said he premiered it using pigeons in Brazil in 1908, but the first written record of him using it in public was dated 1912.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Spellbinder and Wm have it correct.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Now there is some history class, You guys can sure dig it up, And I am glad to see that history is still alive, Thanks guys for your history skills.