The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Stuck bunny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Hi,
Often during performance my rabbit won't budge to come out of her production prop, no matter what prop I use. Once she is comfortable, she just wants to stay there. It really disrupts the flow of the routine and show.

Is this common and how do you train the rabbit to let you pull them out?

Thanks.
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Same thing happened with my rabbit when it was new.

I use a 3D Bunny Box. I would open box and rabbit would be in the same position
where he started in the begining behind the flap.

So for a while (till he got use to it) I would tilt the box so he would dis-lodge
and be looking out the door when I opened it.

All is good now.

BTW I have a male Himalayan which has great markings and is very mellow. They all have the same marking and are all mellow. It's just the breed. They are kind of long and lankey but work well for my magic show's.

Good luck-Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
This happened to me - several times. I won't mention the prop, but it made it very difficult to get the rabbit out if he didn't want to come out. I tried to make a bit out of it, but then some people perceived that the rabbit was being injured in some way.
The solution - Get a different production!
I suggest a drawer box.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Mike, utilize positive re-inforcement. Give the rabbit a treat during your rehearsals, First do your load in, then when you produce him, offer him or her the favorite treat, In my case it is a cheerio (cerial breakfast of champions)lol. find the treat they like and utiliize it, start withthe conditioning, after they are produced during your private rehearsal, give the treat, Keep the treat small. then once they are conditioned to the treat, next few go arounds of rehearsals, go thru the routine, then don't give the treat directly to them, but instead hold it to the front of your prop, the rabbit will be looking for it or smelling for it, then they will walk to the front of the prop. Any more help just write or PM.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thank you for these suggestions Chris.
I will try this.
Thank you.
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I had the same problem and a little training went a long way.tropicalillusions nailed it on the head.
Life of Magic!
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
My girl also loves her small pieces of apple. today the folks had a table of fruits and cakes for us to enjoy, so guess who took an apple back stage???? yup, I bit off a small piece laid it behind the release handle on top of our chalet doves to rabbit. worked our magic ( pulled the knob....LOL) that places the apple piece right into the hand, this was dropped. this piece was dropped right into the front oif the unit....BAM right up front she comes,, Oh ya...... I ate the rest of the apple, after all I did good to!