The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Water hopper ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JeremyE.Hughel
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of JeremyE.Hughel
Hi all...
This is my first post. There are a few wonderful kids that I know that come over quite a bit, that sadly have leukemia. Do to their condition they may not be around my doves, and other magic friends. I am planning on putting all my birds out side in aviary, once I find a good design I like. I have 13 doves, and as many of you know they soil their water very easy. I want to construct an inexpensive Something that allows the water to flow as needed. I have seen hoppers in a smaller parakeet style, and big ol' dog sizes, but nothing dove size. My goal is for them to have water at all times, that they can't stand, climb, or leave droppings in. Any ideas???

Thanks a million. Hope to become great friends with all of you.

Your magical pal,
Jeremy Hughel
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jeremy, 13 doves should be housed outside. Believe me, I used to have 31 birds in my basement and the dust is unbearable. Heres a link to a waterer that I have used before. Besides on line, they are available at most feed and grain stores. The key to this is the rounded top. The doves can't sit on it so they can't drop their feces in the water. You fill the tank, set or screw it onto the bottom depending on the model. The water automatically feeds from the tank into the base for easy access. They do come in a variety of sizes as well. I had one that held 1/2 gallon of water and my 31 birds drank most of it everyday. You can always adjust how much water to put in the tank.

If you build a free standing aviary, meaning a large cage type unit, I would put the waterer on an egg crate or box rather than on the ground. Dirt can easily be kicked up into the water.

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/little-gi......dle.html

If you're looking for plans for a nice aviary than can be adjusted to fit your needs, check out Gordon. He is a member here and has work shop plans available for an excellent aviary.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......ser=9593
Where the magic begins
JeremyE.Hughel
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Mr.Scribner,
Thanks a million for taking the time to help me. Hope to become friends.

Your magical pal,
Jeremy Hughel
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1943 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Why not use a water bottle? That's what I use. You take each one and put their beak in the tube and they catch on.
JeremyE.Hughel
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Water bottle?? Like the one you would use for a rabbit or something? With the little ball in the end?? I was under the impression that they need to be able to submerge their entire beak....