The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Where do you guys keep your ducks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
I am interested in purchasing a duck, but I'm not quite sure where to keep it, and how much space it would require? Also what is the exact species that I want? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
In the bathtub is where I keep mine.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I can't help you with this one. Sorry. Smile Smile
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Quack!

I have a large backyard. My ducks live back there. If I were you I would give lots of consideration to having ducks. If you have a large enough lot, then it is okay if you take precautions. Ducks, unlike rabbits if you must, do not lend themselves to being kept indoors ...at all. They need to range. The other problem is they are very vulnerable to dogs, racoons, weasels, owls and other predators. So, if you have even one duck, you need a pen that is secure, with fine chicken wire on all sides and the top. They need to be able to get out to run about. If you have a big lot, city code allows ducks, and you are up to caring for them, then they are great.... but unless all that applies.... do not go there.

As far as breeds. There are a number of smaller ducks. The standard breed for many magicians is the Indian Runner... a long thin drink of water duck. Personally, I use larger ducks. My current duck ...Mal ...as in Mallard Fillmore... is a rouen. It is a domestic version of the Mallard. So he is beautiful like the Mallard but cannot fly... and he is bigger. Since I make all my own props... I design them bigger for him. My experience is that many of the manufactured props... especially the duck pan... is honestly too small to "humanely" hold any duck. I have seen magicians do this and based on what I know of the pan, and what I know of ducks... I have been appalled.

Ducks are not for those who just want an animal for a show. Unless you have the room, go with a dove, a guinea pig, a bunny or a fish that can live indoors. Rabbits indoors are not, in my book, great, but less trouble than an indoor duck... yuuuuuuuuuuuucck.

quack