The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Appearing cage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Hello there,
let me apologize in advance if my question sounds too stupid but I want to end the parakeet act I'm working on with the appearance of an appearing cage from silks but I can't quite figure out how to steal the cage. Actually no sorry, I do know how to steal it (I still haven't decided if I want to steal it from the back of the tablr or from the assistant) but I can't quite understand how to hook the cage either to the body or to a table. the cage is not that light so how do you hook it to a body so that it stays there safely but you can steal it easily? magnets?
thanks in advance
Gaia
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Try using small S hooks that can hook onto the table and the Ring of the cage. If its the assistant, the assistant simply holds on to the top of the cage either hidden from view, or amongst the silks...

GOOD LUCK!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
For a table steal, hammer a nail in at a slight angle, then cut the head off the nail. Cutting the head of the nail off will provide a clean steal, and the angle will prevent the cage from being bumped off.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Gaia, are you aware that the appearing cages come in smaller sizes? If you are doing a parakeet act, you might want to use the smaller version. It won't be quite as heavy and will look more natural in context with a small bird act.

The methods given above are all good but with a smaller cage, it will be easier especially for your assistant.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Gaia, what brand cage are you talking about?
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
It's tora.
I guess my assistant will just have it in the coat's pocked and behind armpit, will give the other side to the audience, will get the silks I throw her and will give it to me with the silks
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Will you have a table or stand on stage?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Gaia, if you're going to use an assistant, think about a hook sewn to the back of her dress to hold the cage. If she comes to you from slightly behind, her back will be to the audience. You could hand her silks as you produce them and as you produce the last one, retrieve the others from her while reaching behind to get the cage. This is used in many effects and looks nice.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I can see your problem, Gaia. The challenge is keeping the cage closed. An appearing cage is spring reactioned. There is no locking mechanism. If the cage is hung on something, it will spring open, if not all the way, it will spring open slightly letting the bird slip off the perch, or spring open fully before it is completely behind the silks. If you are going to use a table or stand on stage, let me know.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There are ways to keep the cage closed. To name a few, a thin strip of velcro around it will work. It can be removed quickly and easily as the silks are gathered. A small bag or cloth sleeve can be slipped over the cage and removed with the silks.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-09-30 06:19, Dave Scribner wrote:
A small bag or cloth sleeve can be slipped over the cage and removed with the silks.

That is what I made to perform mine. But instead of it going over the cage, it is under the cage. The sleeve stays stabilized, only the cage is removed.

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 9:42am
The reason I was asking about if you have a stand or table or stage was referring to the following method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etFn8Cv9RCo&NR=1
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Can someone tell me what brand appearing cage are being used in the above clip. I am strugling to get a small appearing bird cage.

Thanx
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Check out the following link:
appearing cage
Swann101
View Profile
Special user