The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Cockatoo appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Any new props to make a cockatoo appear.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
There are many various possibilities and options available to produce a cockatoo... Allow me to be the first to chime in with some ideas.

Barehanded - If you're using a Ducorps or a Rose Breasted, you could have it trained to sit in an invisible cockatoo harness ( dove harness modified) and produce it from the most obvious place. (just in case there are lurkers, I'll leave out the details) Check out David Davinci's act on YouTube. He goes by another name too...does Womach ring a bell?

Prop- A blammo style production prop would be perfect for an instant appearance. An interesting one is the finale of the Korean dude where he produces his cockatoo in an empty cage with a flash of fire. you can see the video on one of the recent threads. ( THIS KID ROCKS!) Also, there are other stuff like, Malloy's production cage or even a modified mirror box

Transform- Transform one object into another! Doves to cockatoo, White feather boa to cockatoo, cockroach to cockatoo (maybe...), anything! Props available for transformations could range from the Dove to Dog from Rich Hill, the Mirco Lion's Bride from Proline, OR, get my pal Thomas Clark to build you one with a custom design! I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but Dan Sperry produces/produced a cockatoo from a vanishing birdcage. You see the form of the birdcage under the cloth and suddenly, as he rips the cloth into two, a huge white bird flies straight at the audience and returns to his black nailed hand. I, personally love it!

From an object- Jason Byrne ends his dove act with the production of a Pekin Duck, from a huge pile of hot pink silks. Produce tons of silk, maybe even a multiplying silk routine and with the right steal techniques, produce the Cockatoo... Or, simply show a 30 inch silk empty on both sides, ruffle the silk and produce the bird. Why not remove your socks, then borrow an audience member's T shirt and produce it from that! The possibilities are endless!

Pure Magic- This is simple, speak to Harry Potter and the rest is settled.

I know you specified props but I think this could open up some nice options too. All the best! Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A Duck Bucket or customized Mirror Box should work.

Do you already own a cockatoo?
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Good point Mike, DO you own a cockatoo??
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Yes, and a Blue and Gold, a parakeet, and 6 doves.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Wow! that's great. You must be a committed pet owner to own both a TOO and a blue and gold. Hope the suggestions help!
DoveDaddy
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of DoveDaddy
[quote]On 2008-12-18 12:12, Kyle^Ravin wrote:
Dan Sperry produces/produced a cockatoo from a vanishing birdcage. You see the form of the birdcage under the cloth and suddenly, as he rips the cloth into two, a huge white bird flies straight at the audience and returns to his black nailed hand. I, personally love it!

Kyle, I wholeheartedly agree. Dan Sperry's cockatoo production is one of the most creative and visually stunning effects in any dove act. Sperry's World Magic Awards performance is posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZg6wcAF1nk
Rich Hill
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, Indiana USA
166 Posts

Profile of Rich Hill
Our Doves to Cockatoo is Powder Coated Aluminum - Very cool prop!
http://www.richhillsillusionshop.com/dovestocockatoo.htm
Rich Hill
<BR>www.richhillsillusionshop.com
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Dan is fantastic as usual!

Someone just needs to learn how to upload a really good file to YouTube as the quality of the picture should be a lot better.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Quote:
On 2008-12-29 13:44, James Adamson wrote:
Dan is fantastic as usual!

Someone just needs to learn how to upload a really good file to YouTube as the quality of the picture should be a lot better.

I do that on purpose...

:)
DANSPERRY.COM
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Smart Dan!!

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Dan,

Cool, I understand your viewpoint (people copying, etc,). I was thinking of the future for archiving purposes. Some many of the great acts of past generations are not available and it is a shame to lose them.

The Cockatoo production is a great change from the traditional vanishing cage and it is stunning.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Dan! I'd love to see your full act too! haha...
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
Dan's bird act is great and original! He really worked so hard to be different. That's why this one dude tried to rip his act move by move. Not to mention his costume, music and props used.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
And his name was jethro alcuaz...

no no just kidding,

Thanks for the kind words guys - not to worry, I got it all backed up in high quality, haha, maybe some day it will be available, haha, but not yet, not that I claim to be all that great at anything other than making an outstanding cup of coffee but sometimes keeping the mystery helps to enhance the reputation and legend...whenever that happens.
DANSPERRY.COM
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
Hahaha. Hey Man you blew my cover.(just kidding,it's not me) By the way, Watch Dan Sperry at Masters of Illusion. Congrats Dan!